Upgrades for 3.9mpfi - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2004, 23:02   #1 (permalink)

Upgrades for 3.9mpfi

I have a series 1 EB ghia with a factory 5 spd manual and I'm looking to get some work done to the engine. I've already put a 2 1/2 inch exhaust on it and am now at a loss of what to do next. I've been told lots of different things, like extractors, cold air intake, and head work. Does anyone know a good place to go for this kind of stuff in melb, I don't want to go nuts, just another 30kw or so.
deepblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2004, 00:42   #2 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Re: Upgrades for 3.9mpfi

Well extarctors would be a good start, a k&n panel filter as well.
As for 30kw or so you would have to be looking at getting a mild cam for it, maybe even a xr6 cam might help. cheers.

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 04:59   #3 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

You might want to add a touch of head work to that if your going to make the best of the cam, and shave the head a touch to raise the Compression.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 00:10   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys, is a panel filter the same as a pod filter? I've been told they are a waste of time as they just suck hot air from the engine bay and to get a cold air intake instead. Does anyone know somewhere in melb that does head work?
deepblueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 00:55   #5 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

*deep breath*
Jim Mock Motorsport is down in Melb area, and do the cam/head/ exhaust thing for I6's.
There's debate over the validity of their power claims, but most people who have used have been pretty happy with the results. Mind you, they aren't cheap from what I've heard.
Try a search on "mock", "JMM*" or similar - should turn up a few threads.

Unless you enclose a pod properly, and give it a decent air supply, your not really getting anywhere - you might breath easier, but it will be nasty hot air. A panel filter is the best way imo - although you might be able to find a better airbox / intake to suit the car - so investigate that *before* you buy an expensive filter !
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 16:18   #6 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

Flowcraft do great head work. Give them a call and see what they recommend to suit the cam.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 16:35   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Get rid of the crappy tiny little intake pipe from the rad support to the airbox, My pet possum would have trouble breathing through that, let alone a big six. DO NOT fit a ricey pod filter. The standard falcon paper element is large enough to feed 160kW. I think Aunger have a larger intake pipe??? Or make one yourself - maybe cut and shut two stockers together... You need a larger cross-sectional area to reduce intake restriction.
Its a pity the TB breathes from the bottom of the airbox, as you could cut a hole through to the inner guard/wheelhouse and pipe something from down there... Maybe a big hole in the top of the airbox with a coupla bits of black-painted pipe...?
Oh, get your injectors serviced. Could make a BIG difference
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech