Using alot of water, but it aint a head gasket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2004, 00:02   #1 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

confused Using alot of water, but it aint a head gasket

In the last 300 or so kays, i've lost about 1L of water. Ofcause the first thing you think is head gasket, but I got a test done about 2000k ago (about 4 months), but came up with nothing. The car doesn't seem to be down on power, not using more petrol, not running rough at all, stays at normal temperature, and the oil is clean, no milkyness. It just likes to have a drink.

Is it possible that the water is running out of the overflow on steep hills? I live at St Lucia, which is rather hilly (I swear some are at 45 degree angles), and this is where around 60% of my miles are done. Any ideas? Cheers.

Donno

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2004, 00:22   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Using alot of water, but it aint a head gasket

well if you wish to rule out the head, then welch plugs could be the go, maybe the ones behind the motor, right where the gearbox is, so would all drip out underneath and you wouldnt know really.

check the little bleed back hose, mine had a split, very tiny hole, and was losing some water that way.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 00:30   #3 (permalink)
known as tibbo

take it into a workshop and get it pressure tested... Thats reallly the one way to be 100% sure you have not got any leaks
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 00:32   #4 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Will do. I'll park it afcing downhill, get under the thing and check them. I'm not totally ruling out the head, but it just doesn't seem logical to go that fast in such a short space of time.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Proud TQE Operator
Old 06-25-2004, 04:35   #5 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Just rang dad and I think he hit the nail on the head. As I only bought the car 7 or so months ago, I haven't had a chance to use the heater, and prior to that its been sitting in the car yard. What he seems to think has happened is the water has evapourated out of the heater resevour tank and when I started using the heater again, the tank had to fill back up, hence alot of missing coolant. Seems very plausable. I'll be on water check for the 350k trip back home on sunday ever 50k or so, just to be certain though.

Donno

Proud TQE Operator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech