Using the ECU error codes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2004, 21:16   #1 (permalink)

Using the ECU error codes

I put this in another thread, but thought I's start one anyways, in the hope of some replies.

I've got an 89 EA 3.9L MPFI, and there is an idling problem with it. I'm putting it down to a dodgy (No1) fuel injector or connection, a MAP sensor problem, or possibly a TPI problem.

I want to access the ECU and see if comes up with any error codes.

I've got manuals to tell me how to do the Key On / Engine Off test, but it refers to using a multimeter or LED to display the ECU output (the codes).

Can I use a bog standard circuit tester to read the codes, or does it have to be an LED?
Evil Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2004, 00:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: Using the ECU error codes

You can use a torch globe and a couple of bits of wire if you want :D
WhiteOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:12   #3 (permalink)
Fast On Race Day

If ya got a spear $20 bye a multimeter from tandys takes a bit of getting use to but allot easyer to read than anything else
MAD MAX 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 18:59   #4 (permalink)

A LED diode is the simplest and maybe 50c at an electronics store. Put something like a 2.2k resistor in series. The flashes are a little confusing at first. The light comes on when the lead is connected but goes off when the switch is turned on. There is a pause, some brief short flashes and then if the engine is OK there will be one flash and about two seconds later another flash (11), then a long pause and another 11 (repeated).
Have a pencil and paper to write down the counts.
EA1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:15   #5 (permalink)

What's the spear for Mad Max? :D
WhiteOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:42   #6 (permalink)
mem
Hoon

where do u plug the LED into or the multimetre (as I have both). Id like to run a check on my car but I dont have the manual to show me how.
If some1 knows a site for error codes as well etc Id greatly appreciate it.
- Pacemaker extractors, Lukey mandrel bent sports system and muffler.
- k&n clone air pod with custom pvc piping (makes nice induction noise )
- tyres 225 front & rear.
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 14:52   #7 (permalink)

http://www.fixingcars.com.au/demo/ea...ea_cfi_cat.php

Some things I'd like to point out:
- with the engine running test, engine has to be at operating temp (IE thermostat open)
- the engine running test only shows hard errors (errors happening all the time)
- the engine off test shows hard errors first, then shows errors stored in memory. Codes stored in memory are faults that have occured previously but might not be present now, good for finding intermittant problems. But remember if you unplug things while the motor was running earlier it will store this as a memory error (so you may not actually have a problem with the sensor its just telling you that you unplugged it!)
- unplugging the link wire during the code display will erase the memory errors... make sure you check them first before erasing them. Also, if you have been unplugging stuff while the motor was running you might need to erase the memory errors and drive the car around a bit to get an accurate error report. I first thought I had a number of faults but it turned out I had self inflicted memory errors :$
Bidju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 17:39   #8 (permalink)

That www.fixingcars.com.au gives more information than the manual. Did not see a connection diagram.
The connector terminals can be strips of tin about 4mm wide with some little bends to make them thicker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg code.jpg (4.8 KB, 25 views)
EA1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech