Vacuume advance - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 05:58   #1 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

Vacuume advance

what does it do? when does it kick in? if its not working, will it make the motor ping even when its free revving? and how do you check its working

thaks people

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2004, 06:13   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Vacuume advance

vacuum advance, is that thing attached to the side of the distributer, and well it has a vacuum line attached to it, when the vacuum pressure is really great, I.E. foot flat to the floor it pulls the timing to more advanced and hence stops the engine going retarded so you maintain power and actually gain a little more rather than loose, to test it, suck on the pipe with the engine ideling the revs should go up as the advance kicks in, and drop back to normal when its not on, other test is rev the motor and stick your finger over the pipe and feel the sucking, or listen for it.

Jason

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:28   #3 (permalink)

Sorry to pull you up on this dellboy999, but vacuum advance only works at part throttle openings( eg. cruising down the freeway, light acceleration,etc). This is when your vacuum is at it's highest. It gives you better fuel economy and response down lower in the revs. When you floor it, the centrifugal advance does all the work and gives you your advance curve. You can check it like Dellboy999 said, or if you have a timing light, hold the revs at about 1500, then pull the hose off the dizzy. Your degrees or advance should drop. Exactly how much depends on the engine...Shane.
shano6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:41   #4 (permalink)

about the pinging? anyone know?
im SICK of revvin only to 2800-3000 before i MUST change.... i cant race anyone :(

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

Old 06-03-2004, 09:17   #5 (permalink)

Mad_wog,

When you flatten the pedal, the vacuum advance is taken out of action and it will retard back to base timing. At that point its up to the weights to take over and advance based on a curve (determined by springs). If the timing is too advanced, the weights will kick in too early and advance too far causing pinging.

Easy thing to do, retard slightly to get around it.

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 07:39   #6 (permalink)

if i change the dizzy will it make it better? apparently the dizzy shaft is worn, but to do that, i have to remove the gas setup, heater lines and everything, its really packed on top of the dissy, and you cannot see it!

Old 06-04-2004, 08:52   #7 (permalink)
EF Wagon

You dont need to Replace the dizzy.
Just get your timing done.
Also can spray some water in the intake while holding the engine at 2000-2500 rpm.
The water will help clean out any carbon build up in the chamber. Which can also cause pinging.
VBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:07   #8 (permalink)

If the shaft is too worn, it will create a vibration, and also make the weights kick out faster causing advanced timing. If its that bad, just get a 2nd hand unit from the wreckers for cheap.

And as VBman said.. try those things.. probably help a bit.. just dont be concerned about he chunks blown out the exhaust as the carbon comes off :)

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 17:24   #9 (permalink)
BOSSONNOS

Another thing to try,
make sure that the vacume advance unit isn't getting full manifold vacume as this will cause the distributor to advance to quickly, the vacume hose may be connected to the manifold instead of the carby.
the other thing is disconnect the vacume advance hose and plug it, run about
3 degrease more timing and just rely on mechanical advance, you advance the timing in 1 degree units, take it for a drive and keep doing this until it starts to ping and then retard the timing slightly.

Hope this helps
Ultra Tune Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech