Very Cheap Mods... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2004, 02:18   #1 (permalink)

Very Cheap Mods...

dragged a VR commodore (manual, sedan, V6) last night. I was drivin my mums auto EL Falc Wagon. Didn't expect to win but somehow managed to pull away quite substantially before 2nd gear...kinda strange. He was definately ready for it...revving and all that..so i dunno what went wrong for him. Anyway...i was wondering..what are some cheap things (eg plugs, filtersetc etc) that you would recommend to make sure the car is at its full potential. i'm aware of the effect of premium on the car as it has a knock sensor, but other than that i have no idea. THe idea is to reduce the amount that a car like that would pull away once i got into second.
Thanks for ya help dudes,
DM
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 02:44   #2 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

Re: Very Cheap Mods...

Whats your position on the cheap-o-meter?

1 -- You give me your mum's 10 sec car!
2 --
3 -- I'll let you work on my mum's car and make it go faster, IF you supply parts!
4 --
5 -- You mean I won't gain 10rwkw from changing the plug gap?!?
6 --
7 -- I'll ask mum to fill up with 95 octane and then hand you your ass on a plate!!
8 --
9 -- You wait at the lights while I siphon out the lawnmover fuel and put in the 1L of 98 octane that I waited for three weeks to drop below $1/L.

Just kidding..

If your mum maintains her car then it should already be pretty close to full potential for a stocker. If it can outpace a *well driven* manual VR then its not going too bad anyways.

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 03:12   #3 (permalink)
Blown ED XR6

Dare I say it, but if you got a fair amount ahead then he either wasn't trying or his car is a POS.

Putting that aside, it depends on how cheap you wanna go as stated above. Performance never comes cheap, so...
Old 03-18-2004, 03:52   #4 (permalink)

well i consider half-3/4 car length a fair lead when hes driving a manual/sedan and i'm in an auto wagon...and i know he was trying his guts out...poor thing sounded like it was gunna die...
I'd be the number 1 on the cheapo scale....well almost. The plugs are had it (been in for almost 90000 without a change- can tell from massively rounded electrodes...has a slight miss occasionally at idle but thats prolly due to poor sparkers.
The air filter is absolutely stuffed...trust me. Is it worth gettin 1 of these expensive ($100 is expesive for me...) re useable filters? if so what sort?
Same deal with plugs- whats ur favorite?
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 19:31   #5 (permalink)
Busy planning...something

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
well i consider half-3/4 car length a fair lead when hes driving a manual/sedan and i'm in an auto wagon...and i know he was trying his guts out...poor thing sounded like it was gunna die...
I'd be the number 1 on the cheapo scale....well almost. The plugs are had it (been in for almost 90000 without a change- can tell from massively rounded electrodes...has a slight miss occasionally at idle but thats prolly due to poor sparkers.
The air filter is absolutely stuffed...trust me. Is it worth gettin 1 of these expensive ($100 is expesive for me...) re useable filters? if so what sort?
Same deal with plugs- whats ur favorite?
The paper filters flow fine, perfect for a low budget. The intake setup is more of an enemy :|

No idea about plugs...unless someone has a firm answer, the standard heat range factory replacements would be the best choice for your low $ :)

Cheers,

Dave
208_Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 20:32   #6 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

VR's are POS. I bust them all day any day. I dont understand how people rate them so highly. A high flow air filter or plug change wont do much for performance. How can a filter change the difference from winning by 1 car length to 2 car lengths :/
Old 03-19-2004, 00:10   #7 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

New air filter and plugs should be done for fuel economy and engine longevity at the least. And if they are as stuffed as you say then it will "feel" like it makes a difference, even if in a drag it doesn't.

If you feel the need to drag around with your mum's car then at least be prepared to keep it in nice condition. And a slight miss at idle can well be due to bad plugs which I think need to be changed after 15-20,000kms.

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 00:13   #8 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

use the JMM plugs, I think they're $35 on their mail order cat. they also have a K&N panel filter....

have a look on www.jimmockmotorsport.com

Dave.
-------------------------------
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
-------------------------------
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 18:24   #9 (permalink)

you want cheap mods? remove as much of the "bodykit" as you can, remove as much of the interior as you can, spare tyre the lot, back seat, front passenger seat etc. Should lighten you up 100kg or more. That'll help...
Old 03-19-2004, 19:32   #10 (permalink)
falcon amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr_virgin
you want cheap mods? remove as much of the "bodykit" as you can, remove as much of the interior as you can, spare tyre the lot, back seat, front passenger seat etc. Should lighten you up 100kg or more. That'll help...
HAHAHAHAHA...........nice one!
SLY_GLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech