!!!weird XF problem, HELP please!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2004, 17:58   #1 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

confused !!!weird XF problem, HELP please!!!

Hey everyone, my old XF is havin some issues at the moment, its really weird, basically it wil not idle, and when it does its really rough/spontaneous, and suffers loss of power etc, it makes driving seem like a task in itself. I can drive for a little while and it will be perfect, but then as soon as i stop for a bit or turn the car off, it does it again when i turn it back on. This seems to happen more/more severely when it is a hot day, but it still happens when it is cool. Any help would be greatly appreciated
xf_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
grippin'n'rippin

Re: !!!weird XF problem, HELP please!!!

either ignition or fuel. check the fuel pressure. Check the timing. Check the leads and plugs.
is it carby or efi? auto or manual?
sleepwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 22:40   #3 (permalink)

I got the exact same problem XF_dude! See here: XF Falcon EFI Bizzare, truly Bizzare.......

We can work together I guess, and try and fix the prob!

I have my suspisions that its the coolant temperature sensor...it cant be the EGR valve because I just cleaned mine the other day, and although the engine is really smooth in idle and takes up acceleration much better, the problem still exists.

Read that link I gave you, and see if you can relate to or have the exact same problems.
fOrD mAn Xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:53   #4 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

yeah ive basically got the exact problems, its really getting to me, oh and mines a 5 speed manual, carby as well, i have been thinking it makes more sense for it to have something to do with somethin to do with the temperature because of the fact it does it pretty much guaranteed if its been in the sun or its not cold
Old 02-26-2004, 03:00   #5 (permalink)

thats interesting but...considering its a carby model....mine is efi you see....its actually a good thing, because it rules out all those electronical crap on mine, as yours doesnt have it....

its only in idle right?

My next suspsions after the temp. control sensor would be the fuel pump....when they get older, and heat up they seem to stuff up a bit...

Its only in idle for me but...like I said I could drive to phillip island on a 30 degree + day and as long as I dont stop for 2 mins or more it wont do it....the longer I sit in idle when the engine is hot, then it will do it....even when its cold.....but as soon as the engine heats up bang..she starts it in idle....it just takes longer on a cold day, as obviously the engine takes longer to heat up.

do you get that exact problem?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:21   #6 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

sorta the same.....mine is basically just in idle....but sometimes and more commonly recently, it will still like lose power when im driving along, or when i change gears it will lose power when the clutch is in, but regain it again if i keep the revs relatively high
Old 02-26-2004, 03:23   #7 (permalink)

in your first post you said:

Quote:
its really weird, basically it wil not idle
what do you mean by that? do you mean really rough idle as soon as you start the car, or it idles really fast?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:43   #8 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

i mean exactly what i said, it wont idle, its weird, u can keep ur foot on the accelerator and it wont conk out, it will start to but u can avoid it by revving, but if u just leave it it will just spontaneously and idle roughly, shaking alot then stalling
Old 02-26-2004, 04:25   #9 (permalink)

yeah i realise that, but i mean as soon as you start your car when its cold (hasnt been driven at all) does it idle normally?

Do you mean it idles funny between gear changes....it does sound quite strange...thats why its hard for me to understand.....
Old 02-26-2004, 04:29   #10 (permalink)
Lyrical Mastermind

sometimes it will idle properly as soon as i turn it on, but usually it always does the weird thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech