what mods to do for Ed 6 cylinder to get more horse power - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2002, 18:25   #1 (permalink)
skermo

what mods to do for Ed 6 cylinder to get more horse power

Hey

I've got an ED futura which at the moment everything is standard, I want to give it more horse power basically and spend no more than 1500 bucks, any suggestions of what i should do first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2002, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

I would buy a K&N panel air filter first. Then get a set of extractors and a sports exhaust fitted. This should easily come in under 1500 bucks. The filter is about $120, the exhaust should be around $1000, although I got mine for $600 (mild steel, press-bent exhaust, stainless steel extractors).

Then I would get the cam done, and that would be it for me.

If you're in Melbourne I've heard nothing but good stuff about Jim Mock Motorsport in Altona.
Old 07-28-2002, 20:47   #3 (permalink)

5 Speed conversion would be the best bang for buck, should be able to get it done for less than a K
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 21:44   #4 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

I doubt that very much Martin (manual conversion under 1k). I've asked (for the XF) and the response was more like "gee mate, that's a big job, you're looking at thousands, like 3-4 grand".

How do you come to this figure, does that involve sourcing all the parts yourself and doing it in the garage with mates, or just dropping it off at a tranny joint and coming back in a week?

If it was that cheap to get it done (without me getting dirty) I would have forked out ages ago.
Old 07-29-2002, 00:29   #5 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

yeah nearly everyone I've talked to in the work shops seam to think it will cost a packet to.
Mind you if I can't get a manual it will be my first mod!
But then again I do't mind getting dirty.
I just want my insurance company to hurry the F$%k up so I can get my Telstar back and sell it.
(Car was stolen getting dents fixed and new mags and tires)
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 00:32   #6 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Ahh Crap I didn't even answer your question sorry dude!
With $1500 hmm lets see.....
If you want to keep the Auto than get the valve changed in the box. costs around $150 and makes a hell of a differance in the speed of the gear changes than look for a good stall converter.
It you want to leave the box alone. Than the Air filter is no1 mod. Put a hole near the wheel arch plastic and put the pod filter through there (makes a hell of a differance)
get second hand Xr6 injectors and go the exhaust.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:10   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Phone Mock Motorsport and talk to them about it - I personally reckon that the way to go for that budget is get the std mufflers replaced with straight thru ones (maybe $120), get a K&N filter (about $100), an EA airbox to TB pipe (apparently doesn't have the restriction of the ED one), and then chuck a Dev 3 cam in. With that I reckon you'd be pretty impressed.

Then in time you can do extractors and 2.5 exhaust - leaving the original 2.25 system and exhaust manifold on won't strictly speaking deliver maximum potential of the cam etc. - but you won't be looking at being very much down.

I suggest the Dev 3 cam because you don't have to fork out for valve springs, which are about $220 + fitting.
Old 07-29-2002, 16:03   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by carazy
Ahh Crap I didn't even answer your question sorry dude!
With $1500 hmm lets see.....
If you want to keep the Auto than get the valve changed in the box. costs around $150 and makes a hell of a differance in the speed of the gear changes than look for a good stall converter.
It you want to leave the box alone. Than the Air filter is no1 mod. Put a hole near the wheel arch plastic and put the pod filter through there (makes a hell of a differance)
get second hand Xr6 injectors and go the exhaust.
I don't think there is any point in getting a higher RPM stall converter unless going for a crazy cam.
XR6 injoectors are the same as stocks, I have recently replaced my XR6's injectors.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 16:29   #9 (permalink)
Last of the Good Ones

How about a shorter diff ratio. That gives you instant improvement, and you can work out exactly how much by the percentage increase in the ratio. The only thing is you will have high revs on the open road which you may not want if you do a lot of highway driving like I do.
Old 07-30-2002, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

</quote>XR6 injoectors are the same as stocks, I have recently replaced my XR6's injectors</quote>
you learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech