Whats going on inside my engine??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2004, 05:16   #1 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Whats going on inside my engine???

Attatched is a picture of two sparks plugs that I've pulled out of my engine. They are both NGK iridium spark plugs model no BPR6EIX and have been in the engine for about 20k kays. The plug on the left is out of cylinder 3 and the one on the right cylinder 4.

Appreciate any sensible input for spark plug 3's demise.
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 05:24   #2 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

Re: Whats going on inside my engine???

WTF? thats some strange sh!t you have going on there....it looks like the plug was siezed in the head, which would explain why the thread is so badly damaged, and the deposits on it could come from a leaking injector, slightly blown head gasket, broken piston ring, faulty ignition lead..any number of things that would cause foreign matter to enter the compustion chamber and/or affect the burning or ignition of that fuel/air mix.

check the compression first, then the leads, then the injectors to see if there is anything wrong...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:36   #3 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Yeah, the plug was basically welded to the head. Any part of the thread inside the combustion chamber is gone, eaten away. The deposits on it look worse than it really was as the oil mixed with the alloy and iron filings from getting the bloody thing out dirtied it abit.

It was missing every now and again at idle, which was what made me check the leads (swapped them with a new set to be sure) and try different injectors, wasn't until the other day that I thought to check the basically new plugs. Under throttle it was perfect, still made good power.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:41   #4 (permalink)
She's a bit smokey :P

The plug on the left looks like it was cross threaded when it was installed and whoever did it just did it up anyway, that would have chewed the thread in the head aswell.
2x1000W 12in subdoofers, splits,
TE cortina,Toyota Supra,TD cortina
460Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 14:12   #5 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Hi mate ..that looks terrible .The first impression i got was crossthreading tooo...but i did a search on spark plugs and it shows that that cylinder ran too hot for the plug ..it was not crossthreaded ..
lokk at this link under the title"melted"
http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/t.../diagnosis.htm
http://www.beru.com/english/produkte...gnosehilfe.php
Try another heat range too....
insufficient tightening?
http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php
http://www.machv.com/melsparplug.html
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 15:21   #6 (permalink)

I am not sure whether you mean 20,000km oe 20km but either way you have a problem with no.3 cylinder. How was it idling and running?

Did you check idle speed drop on disconnecting each cyl and compare them?

Have you done a compression check?

How is the water in the radiator? Cyl head Gasket OK?

Checked resistance on spark plug leads? Are they all within spec?

You need to check this out 20-20,000 km your plug should still look like no.4
Old 08-25-2004, 16:12   #7 (permalink)
-

the deposits on it looked like oil to me.. but if the thread is stuffed perhaps the injector for that cylinder is half stuffed, making it run too lean/hot?
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 16:44   #8 (permalink)

galapogas is right.

I had a V8 with a broken ring on one piston that ran ok but was low comp and had an oily black plug much like your no. 3.
Old 08-25-2004, 17:34   #9 (permalink)