Who has a JMM devkit here? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2003, 13:47   #1 (permalink)
Wannabe mechanic :)

Who has a JMM devkit here?

I was just reading the thread about extracting power from an I6, and I thought I'd ask who has a Jim Mock DEV kit? Which one? Do you like it or dislike it? Do you think they're too pricey, cheap?

Personally I have a JMM Dev1, and for $980, I have about 20-22 more rwkW (or so I believe), and I don't know if it was incredibly cheap, but it certainly didn't seem terribly expensive, and Jim also gave me some good advice about the LPG system, the excessive petrol consumption and really gave me a better understanding of engines on the day. I feel like it was worth it, seeing as if I had done my own Extractors + Exhaust + Intake + tuning, I would be looking at $400 (good pacemakers, and it would just be luck that I got pacemakers and not a crap brand like Genies, which Jim said decrease power, when compared with the stock cast iron exhaust headers!!) + $280 for a decent exhaust + $100 dyno tune + $40 intake + $?? sparkplugs & leads..

Thats $820+, and I wouldn't know for sure what kW gain I could expect.

Anyway, just wondering about others experiances, and also, gmanea, you said to me not to go for a DEV3HL kit, if you read this, please tell me why :)
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2003, 15:39   #2 (permalink)
PAST EA TYCOON

Re: Who has a JMM devkit here?

JMM DEV 1 over here

And very happy with it, not only did i get noticeable gain in power but also an increase in fuel efficiency (reduced fuel consumption - when driving normally :s6: )

I was very happy with the service, as i called up at 10 am one day and by 5 pm (on the same day), my car had its DEV 1 installed. Brendon Mock was very good about telling me all about the work he does on our type of cars, and the different options we have to up the power.

Overall im glad i got the DEV 1 instead of just going through an exhaust joint and getting one put on, much happier seening the rwkw results skyrocket after a bit of tuning on the dyno..

anyway thats my 2c worth,

Scott.
SOLD
EvilEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 18:32   #3 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Yeap like I said in a post before...the next car I get will be a stock manual EB/ED. The first mod will be a DEV3HL, thats apparently 150kws@wheels which sounds pretty good to me.

What is that @ the fly? Does anyone know? would it be around 180kws?

Would be good to hear if anyone else has a kit on.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 18:50   #4 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Yes I've been looking at the DEV3HL aswell, I think 150kws at the wheels for $2500 is a pretty good deal...
Old 10-20-2003, 19:49   #5 (permalink)

Assuming 139kW @ Fly = 89kW @ wheels, 150kW @ wheels = 234.15kW @ Fly

But that is assuming the power-loss between the flywheel and the wheels remains constant.

Anyway, 150kW @ the wheels does sound very nice too me, and I can get it for about $1500 cause I already have the DEV1 kit... Or I can buy the stuff and do it myself :)
Old 10-20-2003, 20:45   #6 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

I am assuming that the 150kw is measured from a manual though yeah? How much power should I expect with a 4 speed auto?
Old 10-20-2003, 20:49   #7 (permalink)

Well, I get 110kW atw with a 4spd Auto (2nd gear) and it would be 112 without the fuel regulator thingy (which they can take off for me)
Old 10-21-2003, 00:38   #8 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

I have a DEV3HL on a XH manual ute, it produced 118kw standard and 138 with the DEV kit. A few minor changes have been made since the last dyno run so it may be closer to the clamed figure of 150kw.
My engine also has 130,000k's, so it may be down a little. I've also discovered it now has a 'mildly' blown head gasket.
In the near future when I do the repair I may be putting on a DEV5 head (less DEV5 cam).
Brendan seemed to think it should produce somewhere between 160-165rwkw.

Yes I am happy with the JMM stuff.

RIck.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 00:47   #9 (permalink)
Formerly: SmokeEA

These kits appear to be good and do the trick but im wondering if they are still suitable to keep if u later put a supercharger or turbo on ur car?
Old 10-21-2003, 00:58   #10 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEA
These kits appear to be good and do the trick but im wondering if they are still suitable to keep if u later put a supercharger or turbo on ur car?
The cam will likely have to much overlap. The rest will be fine, you just need to have a cam ground specifically for a forced induction.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech