Ford Forums banner

Why does my car drink so much petrol?

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  347 
#1 ·
Gday all! I own a 250 powered XA Fairmont and she loves the juice. On a Friday night when i go cruiseing with my mates i end up spending $40 on LRP. I dont want to convert it to gas because of the power loss. Whats going on its only a 6! Its making me poor. I did hear the old Ford 6's are very very thirsty.

#7 ·
Friday night, crusing with four mate's and that's all you went through,I used to go through twice as much as that if not more,but yeah like other's have said give it a good tune,is it a manual or auto and tell us the truth, how hard did you really drive,come on, mate's egging you on,$40 is not that bad really.

#8 ·
Ok.....its an auto. It is a 6 cylinder XA so it aint quick. We drive from Dandenong area down Princess Highway to Chaple Street and then around St Kilda and Beach Road. There is my original copper bronze XA Fairmont and my mates 253 powered Viper green VC Commodore. We mainley just cruise but there is the ocasional droping back of gear next to ricers on the way there and home :) When we are at the lights we sometimes drag to the speed limit but thats it. If you dont no where Dandenong is it isnt far from Chaple street area about 20 min drive. Chaple takes about half an hour to get down then we go around St Kilda and Beach Road. I'll look into the ULP when i find a 2V head.

#10 ·
As said, depends on how many kms you did. If 300kms or so, it's probably about right for an auto XF otherwise get the carby looked at and reconditioned. The newer XF webber carbies are quite good on fuel too so might be worth an uprade, don't know what the older ones are like.

#12 ·
EDXR8 said:
As said, depends on how many kms you did. If 300kms or so, it's probably about right for an auto XF otherwise get the carby looked at and reconditioned. The newer XF webber carbies are quite good on fuel too so might be worth an uprade, don't know what the older ones are like.
Problem is, he has an XA, not an XF.

#15 ·
All old 4.1 engined cars have an incurable thirst for fuel. These cars will only ever return good fuel economy on the freeway. The gearing of these cars is really set up for cruising. So when driving in the City they chew through fuel and feel lifeless. My wifes XF will go through 70-75 litres of fuel to do 400km around the city. Yet on long freeway trips you could get upto 600 out of a tank.

#16 ·
Yes the ol 4.1L Carby engine chews fuel like theres no tomorrow. Back in the 70's these things were affordable as fuel was like 15c ltr. But for an old car like that one cannot compare it to a modern fuel injection engine.

I think even the XF Carby 4.1 had a fuel economy of 20L/100km.

Perhaps if you fit a taller diff (at the expense of performance) you will get slightly better fuel economy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.