Why is my XH running crap!? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2007, 18:15   #1 (permalink)

Why is my XH running crap!?

Hey guys,

I have a 99' XH 4.0L I6, for a while now the thing has been running like crap... Im told the timing is ok...? which i can't be sure as i have a timimng light but the mark on the pulley doen't really line up with the mark on the block, to me it looks retarded about 25mm? i also noticed looking yesterday that there is a miss and the plugs and leads are quite new...

The problem im having is that my ute is just running sluggish... It seems to have lost the pickup it used to have eg: used to be able to spin thru first and ssecond if i was to take off quick, now when i hit second it bogs down and is sluggish up through to about 4grand... Could it be maybe something to do with the coil or dizzy??? or even timing?

Maybe and oxygen sensor or something could be causing the miss???

Any suggestions as to what i can test would be awesome...

Cheers..
XH_99_JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2007, 05:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: Why is my XH running crap!?

If you check the timing without putting the ECU into static mode, the timing could be anywhere. Don't get caught out! Find out how to set the timing (plenty of references in the forum) and recheck it. Once you have the ECU tricked, you MUST be patient and wait for the timing to settle in static mode. This can take up to 90 seconds. Keep watching the strobe and you should see it drop back in two steps. But be patient. Only then adjust it if it is wrong.

If you are having trouble, don't take it for granted that the timing IS correct. Check it. If it is out (and I've fallen for it) the car is an absolute slug.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 13:16   #3 (permalink)

Cheers mate!

Will check it out today, Can't see it being a slug tho, it used to be good haha! thats wat makes me think its got issues...
Old 07-03-2007, 03:24   #4 (permalink)

probly not a bad idea to change your efi filter!
i was in hot pursuit of a mate one day and i was struggerling to keep up with him cause my engine was being slugish and to my surprise it was just the efi filter had another go with him a week later and blew the doors off his commodore!

also i dont think it would be your oxy sensor as if that goes your engine will blow alot of black smoke! its more likely to be an ignition problem or a fuel problem also try a bottle of Wynns injector cleaner that usely helps get rid of the gummy crap in ya fuel lines and injectors!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:43   #5 (permalink)
fordmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH_99_JP
Hey guys,

I have a 99' XH 4.0L I6, for a while now the thing has been running like crap... Im told the timing is ok...? which i can't be sure as i have a timimng light but the mark on the pulley doen't really line up with the mark on the block, to me it looks retarded about 25mm? i also noticed looking yesterday that there is a miss and the plugs and leads are quite new...

The problem im having is that my ute is just running sluggish... It seems to have lost the pickup it used to have eg: used to be able to spin thru first and ssecond if i was to take off quick, now when i hit second it bogs down and is sluggish up through to about 4grand... Could it be maybe something to do with the coil or dizzy??? or even timing?

Maybe and oxygen sensor or something could be causing the miss???

Any suggestions as to what i can test would be awesome...

Cheers..
Hi mate
If the basics are OK (fuel/air filters, plugs and leads) I would next check the coil. These coils use to crack and leak through the block, it's a very common problem. Don't just check for spark because it'll probably seem ok, instead, remove the coil from the engine and take the brackets off the coil, then look for cracks where the brackets were fitted.
If this is all good go for the fuel pump next. Let me know if you have any dramas, cheers
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:27   #6 (permalink)

Cheers guys thanx for the tips didn't get a chance to work on her this weekend but i have wednesday off so ill get into it then and let you know how i get on ...

Cheers!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech