wot r tha best and cheapest ways to do up a MPI EA? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2002, 23:31   #1 (permalink)
300kw EA

wot r tha best and cheapest ways to do up a MPI EA?

look at tha subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2002, 10:41   #2 (permalink)

For starters you could actually be more specific. Do you mean performance mods, or just cosmetic mods? It would also help if you said what sort of money you are looking to spend. Try not to be so vague.

Ash
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 10:53   #3 (permalink)

turbo it.
if you know how to weld then it will cost around $1000-1500
jamesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 17:03   #4 (permalink)
Fly like a Falcon

as above

i hear you ppl talking about cams all the time... i was just curious as to weather anyone has plained there head and what sort of differance it made... i was going to do that to my xf... before it was stolen... because a mate has an xf with a planed head... and it fair moves...

so im thinking cam and plained head
Old 02-22-2002, 17:21   #5 (permalink)

Re: as above

i guess you mean machining the head ? all that does is raise compression ratio, not by very much usually, and shouldnt really make a noticible difference. cheaper way to do it would be to buy a very thin copper head gasket
for around $600 i think you could get some porting work done. that would be a much better start.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:40   #6 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

head

If you remove your head to change the head gasket to a thinner one, you will most likely need to get the head lightly machined to insure that it's entirely flat. If you want to raise the comp, it should only cost an extra $50-$60 on top of the initial 'clean up' machining, so you could probably use a standard gasket again.

The 3.9 has a compression ratio of 8.8:1, apparently, if you raise the comp past the 9.2:1 point, you actually begin to loose power.

Head porting is always good to a certain extent. The inlet ports of the 3.9 are pretty good, and only need minimal work. The outlet ports are pretty ordinary, and require a little extra attention. Remember that bigger ports are not always better, and that porting helps out at higher rpm, and sometimes sacrifices lower range power to do so.

Crow Cams is the was to go if you want a little extra balls www.crowcams.com.au

Turbo kit for an EA for $1000-$1500 if ya know someone who can wield.... more details PLEASE!!!!
I have a mate that owns a metal fabrications factory, and another that wielded an entire drag car together (profesh wielder) and another that wields extractors for a living.
I WOULD LOVE TURBOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
Old 02-25-2002, 13:00   #7 (permalink)

Re: head

if you have a look in /parts pedler mag there is a few jap wreckers selling second hand turbos for around $395. you would probabley need a t4 for this size engine. on top of that is the little things like raising rate fuel pressure regulator, tubing , and any other little extras.
usually around $1000 and you may need a programable computer although im not sure, would be easier to tune though, the microtech ones are around 700 give or take a bit.
now thats the turbo part. you would need a bit extra to lower the compression ratio. you could be cheap and use a decompression plate though.
groups.yahoo.com/group/blowthruturbo/
thats a good site for any info.
Old 02-25-2002, 14:08   #8 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Ok, so the finding a turbo part should not be too hard.
All the pipes should not cost me anything labor wise.
Fuel pressure can be increased by using the XR6 pump, or mabye even a XR8 pump, with the regulator to match.
Exhaust system mods will probably be needed.

I think a front mount cooler would also be on the list, I love the sound of them things.

The cylinder head de-comp should not be a big job. Even if I don't get he adaptor plate, I reckon removing the 'Fin' inside the comp. chamber of the 3.9 would bring it down a fair bit.

And the tuning and ecu stuff will be left up to a dyno place.

What about the bottom end?
Where does my LPG system fit into all of this????
Probably wont.

Hmmmmm.. this is making me think.. and thinking costs money!!!!
Old 02-25-2002, 14:13   #9 (permalink)

the bottem end should be ok as long as you do go overboard with the boost. if you wanted to you could get the basic balancing and shotpeening. around 200 bucks. asuming the engine isnt already run into the ground.
im not sure on how lpg works. you could look into using just the lpg as its a higher octane i believe and would be nicer under boost but i have no idea if thats possible.
Old 02-25-2002, 17:31   #10 (permalink)
-

hey guys

ive read a few articles about gas powered turbos, so apparently its possible. NFI about getting computers to control it etc. as for duel fuel forget it if you choose LPG... i think youd have to tune it to the point where it wouldnt run petrol.

cheers, keep thinking bass. id love to see that thing with a ****ing turbo, its THE SHIT!

Jason
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech