XD/XF Idle / Ignition?? Fault - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 23:15   #1 (permalink)
Who wants more than 80kw?

XD/XF Idle / Ignition?? Fault

Hi all,

Ive just fitted a dissy out of an XF EFI (with the hall effect sender) from the wreckers hooked up with a Silicon Chip High energy ignition to an XD.

Pulled up at BP today to fill up with ultimate, went to leave and it wouldnt start. After pushing it out of the way... I fiddled around with the new wiring and it ran... for 50 metres then proceeded to break down again. (luckily in front of a deli so I got some lunch)

Got assistance 20min later and it started then ran home perfectly.

The only thing which is weird is that when it idles on GAS or petrol under no load it 'burbles' and misses a bit. When you hook up a strobe to no 1 cyl it also seems a little intermittant, yet the tacho is rock steady.

Does anyone know the history on the hall effect sensors in those dissys? Were / are they unreliable? The reason I ask is that a third party one is worth $120!?!?

Ive checked, double checked and spent all of yesterday and today looking at my wiring and the High energy ign. I even bypassed all of the safety switches on the gas, checked for vacuum leaks, replaced plugs, leads, dissy cap, rotor button... etc.

cheers.
81foXDwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 22:12   #2 (permalink)
sideways in a six

Re: XD/XF Idle / Ignition?? Fault

not that it helps, but Jaycar were selling a hall effect sensor identical to the bosch ones for around $30-$50 (if that ends up being the problem). Timing's right, is it doing anything weird cause of the PVS (if it's still there) messing with timing, etc?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:12   #3 (permalink)
Who wants more than 80kw?

Re: XD/XF Idle / Ignition?? Fault

Thanks 4 that meethed, ive just had a look at the jaycar site, $20.

I think my fault is in my S/C High energy ignition module. I took the dissy out of the block, put a spark plug on a lead straight out from the coil and turned on the ignition. As I spun the distributor the plug sparked, however after about 5 turns it stopped.

What was really weird was the when I got into the car and got a mate to turn the dissy, the tacho was still registering the right RPM. Obviosly the coil isnt getting any power due to something dodgy in the kit. (ive tried about 3 coils).

I think i'll take a trip to jaycar tomorrow and buy all new parts, including the hall effect. Hopefully that will fix it, as ive spent $120 so far on this conversion.....

I did however have some luck today. Spend $50 on a xenon discharge timing light. Managed to tune up my other car in the daylight
81foXDwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech