Ford Forums banner

XE 250 X Flow

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  xdc351 
#1 ·
Gday. Roughly how much power would a 250 X Flow in an XE be puting out with the these parts?

465 4 barrel Holley
Redline manifold
Mild cam
Pacemaker extractors
2.5 inch mandrel bent system

Is it worth spending the money on a X Flow head and geting it ported and polished? I head they already flow really well.

#2 ·
are u using an alloy head or cast iron head?

apparently the alloy heads of all efi engines flow real well, if anything you just need to clean up the inlet and exhaust ports.

#4 ·
465 is too big for anything less than a big cam, head work and serious bottom end.

My current combo runs way too rich with the 465 and its had lots of port work and O/S valves put in the head... plus the bottom end has been completely rebuilt so I can rev it hard enough to make some use of the 465's top end flow.

Me being the stick in the mud I am, i'd suggest you stick with the webber and get a redline 2bbl manifold. Much more chance of passing an EPA test and as a bonus you'll have better bottom end performance and fuel economy.

Cheers,
Greg

#5 ·
i totally dissagrea with the old a 4 barrle is to big...
They love big carbies, my old 250 used to run a 650 double pumper, with a xu1 race grind cam, lots of head work (race prep), made 165 rwkw, not bad for a carby thats WAY to big.... ive seen 750 double pumpers on 250s , they have to be jetted up, they dont run to rich at all, They require bigger jets because the air speed is not great enuf to draw the required amount of fuel in to work correctly, the accelrator pumps are the ones the cause the flooding.... We put a 750 double pumper on my mates MILD 250 it run way to lean had to go a few jet sizes bigger

BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY IM OVER CARBIES AFTER MARKET EFI ALL THE WAY

#6 ·
xdc351 said:
Me being the stick in the mud I am, i'd suggest you stick with the webber and get a redline 2bbl manifold. Much more chance of passing an EPA test and as a bonus you'll have better bottom end performance and fuel economy.
How much are these redline manifolds? Do they help you get any more fuel economy, or just add extra performance with existing economy? I'm on LPG and would looooove a few more k's out of a tank :)

#9 ·
I agree with INJECTED 250, if you were on straight LPG the EFI manifold is a better option than the redline.

If you going dual fuel then the redline is a better manifold than the stocker, but my comments need to be taken in context. I believe unless your going for all out power your better off sticking with a webber 2bbl and working on the manifold.

Reason being the holleys will never pass EPA/Roadworthy testing on a x-flow engine, ever. At least with the webber and the redline manifold you've got a chance. Also my 465 runs rich as a pig and has poor response down low, as most of the driving I do is not at WOT I could probably stretch my tank an extra 50kms+ if I went back to a webber and tuned it up (currently I get 230~240 to a full tank).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.