xe straight six mild cam? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2004, 22:36   #1 (permalink)
xc ute

Thumbs up xe straight six mild cam?

I got a 6 in my xe. Its standard apart from extractors and a 2.5 exhuast system.

I wanna put in a mild cam that will increase the performance a bit but not effect fuel economy too much. I know its gonna take a dive but i've still got to drive they thing around.

In the end i want something that will offer some performance gains with not having to do anything else to the engine appart from mabey re jetting the carby to suit the cam.

What can anybody sugest? . Any ideas on cam prices and installation prices or other ideas greatly appreciated.

Thnxs Chartoo
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 00:13   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: xe straight six mild cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chartoo
I got a 6 in my xe. Its standard apart from extractors and a 2.5 exhuast system.

I wanna put in a mild cam that will increase the performance a bit but not effect fuel economy too much. I know its gonna take a dive but i've still got to drive they thing around.

In the end i want something that will offer some performance gains with not having to do anything else to the engine appart from mabey re jetting the carby to suit the cam.

What can anybody sugest? . Any ideas on cam prices and installation prices or other ideas greatly appreciated.

Thnxs Chartoo

If you want something cheap and good, hop onto www.vpw.com.au and suss out the Megatork cams, they are a pretty good price, alot cheaper than alot of the more popular brands but still have good grinds.

I'd recommend getting a new cam, new lifters, and while your at it a new timing chain. With alot of the megatork cams they recommend upgrading valve springs due to the extra lift and standard springs not been able to cope with it. Also check out crow cams, and wadecams if you want to spend a bit more.

You will have to face the fact that the standard camshafts in the XE/XF's were pretty poor, so it will definantly chew a bit more fuel depending how wild you go. A few members on this forum have upgraded cam along with a decent tune and have had good results - giving a few of the newer cars a run for theyre money, even some VN/VP V8 commies - pretty good for a 6 cyl falc!

ALSO!!! Remember to upgrade the distributor gear with a steel hardened gear from Crow cams - $39 last time I checked as the standard gear on these are very weak and have a tendancy to disintegrate!
Fordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:03   #3 (permalink)

If you keep the 050" duration below 205 degrees you should have no problems apart from some carby adjustments and a dissy recurve. The cheapest way to go is a regrind but unless your are doing it yourself and mechanically minded I would not use these on this motor. Crossflows are a bit sensitive and can bend pushrods if there is not enough lifter preload.

I would definitely go the hardened dissy gear. Also expect to need to get the dissy reco'd, these motors flog the dissy bushes out.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:52   #4 (permalink)
MLS

The downfall of the 250 xflow is that when you put an aftermarket cam in you're pretty much going to have to changhe the valve springs to stop coil bind.
You can however fit a cam out of an XE EFI, it will give better bottom end and mid range torque without needing to change springs.
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS
The downfall of the 250 xflow is that when you put an aftermarket cam in you're pretty much going to have to changhe the valve springs to stop coil bind.
You can however fit a cam out of an XE EFI, it will give better bottom end and mid range torque without needing to change springs.
i agree with the EFI cam and hardened gear from crow with new timing chain, i've had plenty of crossflows and only had one with a big cam(didn't get moving till 2500rpm which it then took off like crazy{wish i had a manual and 3.5 diff for that})
point is you can only go to an EFI cam unless you are prepared to change valve springs too, i've had some very quick standard(extractors,2 1/4 sports sysem and dyno tune)motors(always with a manual and on gas) that were quicker than VN comodes.
if you have an auto you would also be better of with a standardish cam(EFI) 'cos you don't need a high stall of diff gear change

personally i'm getting sick of crossflows(they almost never die, just get more tired) so in my nice XF i'm considering a mild 4.0 XG 5speed conversion
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:02   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

What were the cam specs on that cam that took off at 2500?

How would a 215 @.50 cam go with .496 valve lift ?
Fordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:16   #7 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordz
What were the cam specs on that cam that took off at 2500?

How would a 215 @.50 cam go with .496 valve lift ?
buggered if i know car came with it fitted already, used to rev past 5 grand stongly, had very lopey idle almost sounded like an 8. was a real pain with 2.92 diff and standard torque converter. still spewin i didn't take it to calder it would have had a terrible 60' time but i still recon it would have run a good quarter, say low 16 sec
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech