XE weber carburettor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2004, 22:41   #1 (permalink)

XE weber carburettor

Hi, i'm after some info on XE weber carburettor, the motor's running a bit sluggish at low RPM and i think the carby needs an overhaul, but i'd rather put a bigger carby on if i can... could anyone suggest what other carby i can put on and approx costs?

Last edited by XE Falcon; 01-25-2004 at 15:55.
XE Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 02:27   #2 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Re: XE weber carburettor

Is the engine stock? Try a 350 Holey on a Redline intake if you already have extractors and exhaust.
XA Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 16:01   #3 (permalink)

engine is completely stock unfortunately, i'm saving for a later model. For 350 Holley would i be looking at 400-500? could you suggest another carby of the same size as the old weber that i could buy knew for 150-200? Is that possible?
Old 01-25-2004, 19:16   #4 (permalink)
1972 XA GS Fairmont

Hume Performance sell 350 Holleys for around $300 plus postage. You could always try Ebay. Why dont you try a Weber of an XF.
XA Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:18   #5 (permalink)

thats not a bad price, thank's. an XF carby sound's alright, are there any differences at all? i could probably pick one up from the wreckers cheap. will it just go straight on?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:19   #6 (permalink)

My last car was a XE sedan 4.1 auto with a 420 twin barrel holley, i could quite easly go through a set of tyers in a night. Thats why i always had retreads (cheap). The carby only cost me $200 from a wreckers. The only thing was the petrol bill doubled, but god was it a fun car to thrash about in.

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:23   #7 (permalink)

The webber carby is a far superior product to the holley in this instance, it does have a few minor problems though. At the front of the webber there are two mixture enrichment circuits which can cause a problem after a while, both are vacuum activated and rely on a rubber diaphragm, if the diaphragm perishes over time the enrichment circuit is permanently activated making the car sluggish off the mark once it has warmed up. In my opinion neither of these circuits are required and I have disabled them both in all of my falcons (2 XE's and 3 XF's) One circuit enrichens the mixture when the water jacket temperature is under 76 Deg C (From memory) the other is the "power valve" which enriches the mixture when the manifold vacuum falls below a certain level. On all of my falcons I have also disabled the accelerator enrichment circuit by removing the cam from the throttle shaft, this has had no effect on driveability but has improved economy in each case.
Old 01-30-2004, 17:52   #8 (permalink)

Thank's edv8, sound's to me like a good reason for the sluggishness. Is it a simple process to disable the circuits? Also im all for economy but removing the cam from the throttle shaft doesn't sound like something i could manage, what would i have to do if you don't mind?
Thank's for your advice!
Old 01-30-2004, 18:03   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XE Falcon
Thank's edv8, sound's to me like a good reason for the sluggishness. Is it a simple process to disable the circuits? Also im all for economy but removing the cam from the throttle shaft doesn't sound like something i could manage, what would i have to do if you don't mind?
Thank's for your advice!
It's all very easy, buy a carb rebuild kit for starters and install most of it. when you come to the power valve diaphragm (it's easy to spot because it has a metal disk on one side and a thin metal rod on the other) you will note that the thin metal rod comes into contact with a ball bearing type valve when manifold vacuum falls below a certain level. Snip the rod off flush with side cutters and install the diaphragm as normal, now the valve cannot be actuated. At this point you may as well leave the other circuit working as the problems only arise here if the rubber is perished and enrichment does not occur at normal running temperature anyway. To remove the cam is a simple process on most webbers, undo the nut on the end of the shaft, slip the cam off and replace the nut. On the later XF's '90-93 utes the cam was crimped on so it's easier to adjust it's profile with a file than it is to re,ove it.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:08   #10 (permalink)

I'm thinking about converting to LPG in the furture. Would i need a different carby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech