The XF is copping some serious work (?) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 17:39   #1 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

Advice needed on XF engine work

Howdy all, long time no presence here on this magnificent forum, been rather busy since November. Anyhoo, I'm here for advice. What's the best way to get some more ponies out of the XF for reasonable bucks (by reasonable I mean $5000 or so). Things that are out of the question are an eight (enigneers fees would be prohibitive), turbo (too much messing around and could break by limit by quite a bit).

Now for the options I have considered:

1. High compression engine (flat top pistons, shaved head, lumpier cam, port and polish) with the carby head
2. As above with EFI head or
3. No.1 with a straight gas setup

The engine is currently an unleaded '86 carby with 299,500k's on the clock. It has lost a little bit of compression pressure on all cylinders and lifters are starting to get noisy.

Some of you might ask, just get a new car, but after having it for 15 years, it's rather hard to part ways. And besides, the only Falc I would consider getting is a BA anyway, which might be a bit hard to get funds for.

It would be really appreciated if you fellow members which have gone down the non-turbo route with an XF share your trials and tribulations with a fellow Ford freak.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 18:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: The XF is copping some serious work (?)

I was sort of in the same boat as you, I have a 91 XF ute with 300k on the clock, and am really attatched to it. But after crunching the numbers my best option is to find a 97 XH and get a DEV5 kit fitted to it. That way I get a nice updated car with some grunt, without costing too much.

Cheers.
scottc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 18:17   #3 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Re: Advice needed on XF engine work

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Howdy all, long time no presence here on this magnificent forum, been rather busy since November. Anyhoo, I'm here for advice. What's the best way to get some more ponies out of the XF for reasonable bucks (by reasonable I mean $5000 or so). Things that are out of the question are an eight (enigneers fees would be prohibitive), turbo (too much messing around and could break by limit by quite a bit).

Now for the options I have considered:

1. High compression engine (flat top pistons, shaved head, lumpier cam, port and polish) with the carby head
2. As above with EFI head or
3. No.1 with a straight gas setup

The engine is currently an unleaded '86 carby with 299,500k's on the clock. It has lost a little bit of compression pressure on all cylinders and lifters are starting to get noisy.

Some of you might ask, just get a new car, but after having it for 15 years, it's rather hard to part ways. And besides, the only Falc I would consider getting is a BA anyway, which might be a bit hard to get funds for.

It would be really appreciated if you fellow members which have gone down the non-turbo route with an XF share your trials and tribulations with a fellow Ford freak.

You can use a carby manifold on an efi head so start with one of those anyway. I would go for the LPG setup if you have the spare cash. I had a bitch of a time fitting a 465 holley and aircleaner under the bonnet.

Bang for Buck the turbo is the best option, I have 202rwkw on my stock EB engine have you considered a late model ford engine conversion, it doesnt take all that much to make them fit.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 18:35   #4 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

DansEdgli, how much did the huffer setup cost for your EB? If I were to grab an EBII onwards engine and whack it in the XF, wouldn't I need the K-frame from an XG ute? How hard is it to fit the whole sub frame in? Anyone done it before?

Another question; with an EFI head, wouldnt it make straight gas a real problem?
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 20:14   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

The whole lot cost me around $8000. The setup should be good for over 300rwkw with engine internal upgrades.
I think you just need the engine mounts from an XG ute. Im not 100% though.

Straight gas would be fine with the EFI head. Why would it make a difference?
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech