XF EFI concern - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2003, 01:43   #1 (permalink)

XF EFI concern

Hey guys,

I've recently been plagued by a problem with my XF ghia.
What happens is, when I come to a stop (say at a redlight) it starts idling rough, almost like its hunting for the right idle level, and if I dont slightly use the acc. pedal, it will actually stall.

The mystery is, it only happens sometimes...it can be after a long drive, or just a short one or not at all.
It did have a full service just a month or two ago...

Any ideas?

Thanks for the time!
Brian166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2003, 03:39   #2 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Sounds exactly like the problem with my XF Ghia - is your rough idle accompanied by a misfire/surge sort of effect below say 2500 rpm at WOT & a desire to stall when hot & you go from neutral to reverse or drive?. I've just replaced the gasket on the plenum & it's largely gone away - but it's far from perfect. It all feels very much like a vacuum leak.

In your case if you don't have the misfire/surge I guess it could also be related to the ISC valve - the one on the top of the rocker cover closest to the firewall. This regulates idle speed for different engine loads ie A/C. From my inspection of this valve it doesn't completely close off - just varies an open port. Try turning the A/C on & off & see what happens.

Apart from that gasket on Friday over the last few weeks I've done the following which had no effect: New coil - new cap - new rotor - new topgun leads - new plugs - the 2 other intake gaskets between the head/injector manifold (that ones PRICEY) & between the injector manifold/tubes - injectors serviced & cleaned (out of car - not just the waste of time in car flush).

I've heard the TFI modules on the distributor can give trouble - with intermittent faults or total failure. I don't know the symptoms of this exactly but it's the way they are made - the technology back then. There's a Bosch replacement & a Wells replacement. They're not too badly priced - $90 for the Wells - but I'm in communist NZ so it's probably cheaper under the capitalist Aussie system. An auto electrician should be able to test the aspects of that for you - I can't find one here who knows #@%! from chewed dates though......

Have you got a workshop manual? If you haven't & are considering getting one - DO NOT get the Gregorys one - it's crap. Tells you how to pull all the bits out etc. but not nearly enough info on how to test them once you've pulled them or on car. Contains crap you'd never want to do yourself like checking crank bearing clearance etc.

Anyway - hope something in there helps - post your success/failures - maybe we can get to the bottom of this.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:40   #3 (permalink)

Haha weird. Wouldn't believe it but I have an XF Fairmont Ghia, with the same problem. Not that bad tho, but similar. :D
X.treme.F.ury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 01:54   #4 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Mine never gets bad enough to stall - it's come close when you select a gear sometimes though.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:43   #5 (permalink)

Wow, widespread problem then.
Today is was pretty bad, motor actually stopped while I was still moving (albeit very slowly. still, coming up to a roundabout...)
And it only happens in gear, it idles fine...select a gear, bit of a shake...then it just stops.
It doesnt happen under throttle, but it does if the revs drop below 1000.
Anyways, I'm gonna have a good look at everything on the weekend and see if I can pinpoint whatever it is.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:51   #6 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Damn - that sounds so similar to mine - yet a little worse.

I'm a bit baffled by it all - is your's worse when hot or cold?
Old 05-27-2003, 05:10   #7 (permalink)

Well I dunno, I havent driven it far at all lately
Just too and from work (which is like 2 kms), I might take it for a longer drive just to see if that has any effect.
Old 05-27-2003, 17:47   #8 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Well if they are EFI engines the most likely cause is a vacuum leak. when you get it idling, undo the oil filler cap and see if it makes it worse. If it doesnt its very likely a vacuum leak.

And if you have trouble finding one, try the EGR valve. Mine was buggered and sucking air straight through the diapraghm into the manifold. Another trouble spot is a loose rocker cover.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 00:11   #9 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Yeah - it has all the hallmarks of a vacuum leak - I'm running out of things to try so I'm putting a blanking plate in between the EGR & manifold to see what happens.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:17   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys, cause its givin me and my old man a few headaches.
Tomorrow I'm taking it to the local Ford lads (Dont worry, I do all their window tinting, so I get good prices and free help, just as well though!)
So hopefully tomorrow, I'll have it fixed or at least an answer.
Keep you posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech