Ford Forums banner

XF I6 EFI fuel psi pressure vs. EB-EL EFI V8 fuel psi pressure

8K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Dreders 
G
#1 ·
I might be worrying for nothing here, but I need to know if the XF EFI factory fuel delivery system currently has enough psi to run the 5.0 H.O. (ex 93 stang) EFI now sitting between the towers.

Driving normally seems to be OK, and when I give it a bit the power curve flattens higher up in the rev range. Its running a moderate cam & 24 lb injectors, with the standard mass air, t/body an plenum. I will trick flow it later, along with bigger mass air and T/body. The computer is ex 93 cobra.

Ive got a suspicion that it may be starving in the upper (beyond 2500 rpm) rev range.

Is there a difference between the XF EFI and EB EFI V8 fuel pressure?

Do I need to add an extra in line fuel pump and regulator?

G
#5 ·
EDXR8 said:
I think you will find you are running quite lean higher in the rev range. The XF pump flows 110l/hr compared with the EB's 135l/hr.
So whats the fix? - Ive heard that an extra "in line" pump is the go...who, what and where do I get one? Also, what about the regulator - is it of any benefit in my application?

G
#6 ·
xf_xr6 said:
Can't help you with your problem but it sounds like a mad car!! Do you have any performance figures or photos?

I was thinking about doing it to my XF but money is bit of a prob at the moment

Cheers
matt
When its completely finished I will post a pic...Its been a long road....

#8 ·
How much is an original Pump? I see in U.S mags they are around $100.00 U.S so $200.00 here?? Hmmm
Trouble with inline could be just as expensive and may have a restriction in the 6 fuel pump? By the way I think the Cobra run 190 L/hr.. The maf is calibrated for 19's ? It should be even though you have 24's inj..Iff the computer is a X3Z ...

G
#9 ·
ebxr8240 said:
How much is an original Pump? I see in U.S mags they are around $100.00 U.S so $200.00 here?? Hmmm
Trouble with inline could be just as expensive and may have a restriction in the 6 fuel pump? By the way I think the Cobra run 190 L/hr.. The maf is calibrated for 19's ? It should be even though you have 24's inj..Iff the computer is a X3Z ...
True about the MAF, standard HO upper and T/BODY, calibrated for 19's, but the computer is X3Z and 24's installed, so all I have to do is get 65 - 70mm t/body & 70 maf...but seems to going fine at the moment, just worried about that fuel pressue / flow...

#10 ·
Try a second hand one from eb v8 on and go from there.I'd find out how much a new one is first tho..
I hope the latter model ones fit...

#13 ·
MadMax said:

Will the in tank pump input pressure from the XF damage the input of the VL pump?
Use the XF pump to feed a swirl pot and feed the engine from the swirl pot via a Bosch/VL etc in-line pump. Run a return from the swirl pot from the tank - that way the XF pump won't 'pressure feed' the second pump you fit but there will always be fuel available for the second pump to feed to the engine. Hope this makes sense.. :s5

#14 ·
There's some good diagrams floating around on how to plumb the pumps and swirl pot up. You should be able to get a swirl pot made up fairly cheaply, and you can run the fuel filter in the low pressure line from the in tank pump.
As for when you mount the VL pump, keep the rubber boot thats on it when you remove it from the VL, it keeps them a lot quieter.

G
#15 ·
Dreders said:
There's some good diagrams floating around on how to plumb the pumps and swirl pot up.
Who, What, Where? Any sites / Literature available ?

You should be able to get a swirl pot made up fairly cheaply, and you can run the fuel filter in the low pressure line from the in tank pump.[/QUOTE]

Cool - who does them (the swirl pots - do you know anyone in syd? Are there diagrams / photos available on how to do this plumbing?

As for when you mount the VL pump, keep the rubber boot thats on it when you remove it from the VL, it keeps them a lot quieter. [/QUOTE]

Noted - thanks..

#16 ·
Mate,
Go to http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/impala/1012/cars/tech/swirl/swirlfaq.html it has some good information.
You can get the swirl pots made at exhaust shops, turbo shops like JPC etc in Melbourne and even Autobarn (very pricey though). I paid $100 for my alloy one. Exhaust shops usually make them out of 3" mild steel pipe with endcaps, the turbo shops use alloy which is better as it doesn't rust. Just ring around and get some prices, you shouldnt need a big one because the fuel tank is already baffled to stop surging.
Good luck and Im keen to see the results, sounds like a great project :hy:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.