XF ignition wiring loom question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 02:55   #1 (permalink)

XF ignition wiring loom question

Hey Guys,

I scored a distrubutor and wiring harness with computer for an XF of which I want to put into another XF however im not too sure where each of the connectors go on the harness. I know where half the harness goes but where it splits in two and goes behind the motor to the drivers side is where im not too sure.

Any help at all would be really good. Im pretty keen to get this one going as my old centrivical/vacume job is seized up and the old girls pinging and farting a bit.

Cheers...
coupefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2004, 20:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: XF ignition wiring loom question

If you tell me what color wires you need info on, I'll look em up for you
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:02   #3 (permalink)

Thanks r00fi !!! Im on holidays and havnt forgotten about this one. I was infact rewiring my exisiting ignition system today but im still keen to get this going. Ill get back to you as soon as I get back home which is in about a week. The question is in regard to the connections to the main wiring harness. There is a 6 way connector of which I know where 1 connector goes to (temp sender) however the rest I have no real idea. I also wanted to know which sensors and wiring harness connectors can be left out as half of the purpose of the ignition timing computer deals with some of the anti pollution stuff. Basically just want it to run the timing system with the basics connected.

Thanks for your help on this one. Really appreciate it... :)
Old 07-21-2004, 05:38   #4 (permalink)

Alrighty, Im back from holidays now and ready to go. Ive checked out another mates ignition system and noticed that a fiew pluggs on the drivers side are connected to nothing so this makes my job alot easier. The main connections I need to know about are on the 6 way connector (black) that has 5 wires comming out of it as well as one single wire with a bullet connector.

The first is a sinle wire comming from the harness with the bullet connector. It is a GREY/BLACK (SB) - Not sure were it has to go. Somthing to do with an accelerator position switch maybee??? Dont know if I need it...

The next are on the 6 way black connector:
BLUE (L) - Not sure
BED/GREEN (RG) - Ignition 12V +ve to coil I think
RED/BLUE (or RED/PURPLE) - Not sure
RED/WHITE (RW) - Temp Sender - No worries
PINK/BLUE (KL) - Tacho sense I think to coil -ve

In regards to the other connectors they seem to be disconnected except for a MAP sensor, a purge solenoid and a manifold temp sensor.

My other question is wether the unit will operate the ignition side of things correctly without the solenoid and the manifold temp sensor????

Cheers.... All the best and thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:03   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupefan
The first is a sinle wire comming from the harness with the bullet connector. It is a GREY/BLACK (SB) - Not sure were it has to go. Somthing to do with an accelerator position switch maybee??? Dont know if I need it...

The next are on the 6 way black connector:
BLUE (L) - Not sure
BED/GREEN (RG) - Ignition 12V +ve to coil I think
RED/BLUE (or RED/PURPLE) - Not sure
RED/WHITE (RW) - Temp Sender - No worries
PINK/BLUE (KL) - Tacho sense I think to coil -ve
You need to be carefull with your color definitions. There is a main color and a stripe color

For instance red/white is temp send, but white/red is hazard switch.....

From Ford Manual.....

BLU - Horn
RED/GRN - Ignition
RED/BLU - Ignition Switch Inhibitor (Auto?)
RED/WHI - Temp
PINK/BLU - TACHO
GRY/BLK - Servo Vacuum - Cruise Control - Also used for washer
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:07   #6 (permalink)

Im still a little stumped??? Sorry. The colours listed are main color first with the trace colour as the second.

Im wondering why the horn would run to the timing computer. I did notice however on my existing wiring harness a different blue wire that ran to some sort of solenoid connected to the anti pollution system.

Im going to try to run this thing on the bench to see if I can get it to run first with Ignition +12V (Red/Green), temp sensor, MAP sensor, distribitor and coil. If I can get spark first then a advance in timing with vacume and speed of distributor, I should be right. Not to sure how to do this yet... Might just have to play with it as I dont want to modify my existing pollution setup.

Also the ignition inhibit (Red/Blue) - Is that an input to the Control Unit or an output from it??? Im also lost to the Grey/Black wire which runs to the control unit. Is it a accelerator switch?

Thanks for your help with this. Ill get started on the bench testing...

Any chance that anyone has a wiring diagram of this timing computer system that they can get scanned up and sent across??? Be really handy for refrence of the modified wiring harness I want to make. Really hard to find the equilivant wiring setup for my car as it was never desighned for this type of ignition system.

Cheers!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 06:08   #7 (permalink)

Well Ive finally got it going. Colours are described as main colour first then trace colour.

Red/blue - Starter motor activator relay (activator wire to relay)
Blue - Clutch on air conditioning pump
Red/Green - Coil/ignition +ve 12v
pink/blue - Coil -ve and tacho sense
Grey/black (bullet connector) - Throttle position sensor switch.

Other connections are for diagnositics of MAP, TPS, and coolant temp sensor which requires a low current test lamp (not a bulb type) and a jumper wire which are pretty simple to connect up.

There is also another important connection that should be known with EST ignition systems such as this for setting the timing. If the 2 way connector with the brown/white and yellow wires are shorted with a bit of wire, the timing is set to 10 deg BTDC. This is required to be set before the timing is done. It is located near the break master cylinder. Without shorting these wires during the timing process, timing will be incorrectly set.

Thanks for your help roofi. I realy do appreciate your time with this. Your colour codes allowed me to bench test this module. All the best...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech