XF Missing on Cold Startup - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2003, 02:25   #1 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

XF Missing on Cold Startup

Hey Guys..

Ive got a XF 250 Carby which recently has developed a very rough miss on first startup. Now ever since i got it, its had a slight miss at idle, not really noticible, but now on cold startup it misses very rougly, shaking the whole car!..this lasts for about 20 or so seconds, and then it returns back to normal. If i start it up again during the day when cool it dosent do it, only first startup.

Now if i leave the car for about a day or so and then start it..it dosent have the rough miss on first startup??. The plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor were replaced bout 1 month ago.

it has also been using coolant from the recovery bottle since i got it..about 20-30 mls every 2 weeks or so.

Any ideas??, Can it cause any damage??
Thanks

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2003, 15:45   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Sounds like a head gasket problem, and you are getting leakage into a cylinder overnight, so you would have a wet plug, and until it heats up and burns off the water, would cause it to fire incorrectly.

Pull out each plug in turn after letting it sit overnight and have a look at them see if one is wet, check the oil for signs of water as well, will be go a bit of a milky white colour.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Another thought is you can get a GLOW in the dark coolant addititave that you could you try, park in a dark garage overnight, then look for the GLOW, if you cant see it, then pull the plugs and then I hope you would see it, it aint that cheap from memory, but depends on what you want, if it is a head gasket the problem can only get worse (well usually).

Dellboy999

Old 05-22-2003, 19:27   #4 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Well on closer examination..the exhaust also has a weird "chemically" smell...so id say that coolant is entering a cylinder..

The oil is normal...no milkiness at all

How long can i keep driving it for?? Should i just keep driving it till it dies??

How much is it for a entire reco 250??

Thanks

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 20:46   #5 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

You only need a reco head probably about 250 and do the work yourself, you would have to get quotes.

You can keep driving it but ....... , the gasket will get worse, then either you leak into your oil and stuff the motor some what, or blow to the oustside, and spew coolant everywhere, or may end up with a blow out between cylinders and bad compression, and very rough idle indeed.

If you really want you could just pull the head off, clean down both the deck and the head with a razor blade and then get a good head gasket (monotorque have always been good for me), and some head gasket goo as well, torque it down according to the instuctions, and hopefully problem solved.

Also needed inlet and exhaust gaskets as well, most of the time they come in the kit.

Dellboy999

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech