Ford Forums banner

xf mods to suit towing boat

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  eb2flyz 
#1 ·
hi all,

my xf needs a bit more ooomph to be able to tow my boat ( 750kg's)
it is a 90 model, carby.
i am tossing up installng a v8 but idf there is a simpler solution using the existing 4.1 then i would prefer that.
there is a big hill between me and the coast !

cheers

#2 ·
Our ole XE used to tow our family of four plus all gear for a week with a 17ft haines hunter boat at about 85-90km/h, after a rebuild. On the other hand our ED will tow it all at 110 if we wanted to (but is just stupid), it has the power, but the cooling system is too small. You could pick up a cheap EB (same power as ED) which would be easier cheaper in the long run then modding an XF carbie. But if you have an attachment to the ole XF, I spose a set of extractors and cat-back exhaust wouldn't go astray, maybe a cam too, but at that price an EB would be way cheaper and more powerful.

#5 ·
get the heads ported a little bit and get a cam, as far as the carbie goe it can be rejetted quite easily, definetly get a decent set of extrators and a single 2 1/4" system from the cats back will also help out a lot. i found that the 2 1/2" was to big with my old xf, very doughy down low, wish i had never fitted it the 2 1/4 was better

#7 ·
love the xf's, on day i will get around to building an xf againbut havin to much fun with the xr8

#9 ·
the next one i build will hopefully be a 351w fuel injected

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.