xf mpfi question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 03:29   #1 (permalink)

xf mpfi question

Hi all
I was just wondering if you take the fuel injection of a xf x-flow motor and put a carby and manifold on it.
Why I ask is that the Gregorys manual say's that the heads have different inlet ports is this true.
Any Help would be great
Thanks in advance.
cdsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 03:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: xf mpfi question

Yeah.. good question..

I may have to do that also.. so i guessing the computer can be pretty much removed if this was the case.

Back to basics
Stangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 03:55   #3 (permalink)
heard it before!

as far as i know the later heads all had the ports ready to accept fuel injection even carby models so in my opinion you should be able to do this without any problem (would i be right in assuming you want to put a EFI motor in a carby car?) if you were removing EFI you might need to run a leaded XF or XE dizzy to prevent having to remove computer junk. i converted an EFI XE to a carby 351 years ago and just bought carby wiring loom for engine bay from wrecker for 30 bucks and removed EFI stuff also changed petrol tank as EFI had high pressure pump in it
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 17:09   #4 (permalink)

yes deankdx I am trying to put a carby on an efi motor to replace the on in my sons xf
cdsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 17:59   #5 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsonic
yes deankdx I am trying to put a carby on an efi motor to replace the on in my sons xf
shouln't have any probs if you use all accessories from your sons motor, inlet, dizzy and whatever other pollution junk is got.
should go better i think as EFI cam is better for starters, not sure on compression ratio but if its higher it'll help performance and economy also
Old 11-20-2004, 23:57   #6 (permalink)

make sure to change the cam aswell, 'cause the factory EFI cam doesn't have the manual fuel pump lobe
smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 21:50   #7 (permalink)

Read Re: xf mpfi question

You can't do a 1:1 swap with just the intake gear. If you want to put a carbi into an EFI engine, you also have to get yourself a carbi head (amoung other parts).

The EFI head has a compression chamber volume of approximately 96cc while the carbi is only 92cc. This would suggest the carbi head offers better compression, but I think Ford fitted different pistons to the EFI engines to counteract this. The EFI head also has better flowed ports that are more friendly to the EFI system, particularly the intake rams, than that of the carbi head.

Also, to stop you from doing a direct change (or at least make it more difficult), the EFI heads have a small cut-out in the upper right of every inlet port where it bolts to the manifold to allow for the injector. The bolts may also be further appart to accomodate for this on the EFI heads.

If you do this and attempt to remove the computer, you'd have to make sure to fit the carbi engine's distribotor and fuel pump (and the cam to run it, as smee says). The former because the ECU controls the spark advance via a 6-wire connector (only 2 wires enter the carb dizzy), and the latter because the EFI engines run a high-pressure, in-tank fuel pump, which is also connected to the ECU.

With all that being said, I'm very curious to know why you'd want to remove the EFI in the first place. Unless you're getting into some very serious modifications (stage 3 cam, etc) then the EFI engine is going to afford you a lot of luxuries that the carb simply cannot - Increased power and torque outputs to the tune of 30% or more, easier to start, no worries about tuning, not to mention that the factory injection system can provide about as much flow (when called for) as a 420 Holly without flooding the engine in the process. It seems like a lot of hassle for something un-necessary.

Cheers,
Jon.
Thalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 22:07   #8 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee
make sure to change the cam aswell, 'cause the factory EFI cam doesn't have the manual fuel pump lobe
my brand new crow EFI cam(not sure if i stated it was for carby)definatly has a fuel pump lobe, not sure about ford cam
but if so yo could buy an ecectronic fuel pump (make sure its for a carby as EFI one have too much pressure) as for dizzy you're old one should work fine
my brother has done this conversion before. doubt compression ratio would matter still better than worn out motor
i am guessing you don't like EFI either and getting it hooked up in a car that doesn't have it would be a waste of time unless you're on an all out performance chase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech