XF won't start! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
Purveyor of filth

Question XF won't start!

Hi all. The XF is sick again. I was coming home from the city when I noticed the idle was progressively getting lower and lower, to the point where it would become lumpy. Then as I got closer to home, it wouldn't accelerate. Before I get blasted for running on empty; although there isnt much, there is enough fuel in the tank. She stalled and wouldn't restart. I had to push her home; lucky she died only a few hundred metres from home.

Now I think it could be only three things: the fuel pump is dead (mechanincal type non serviceable), the carby fuel intake strainer is blocked (maybe) or it could be that the fuel gauge sender in the tank has packed it in and heaven forbid, it could be an empty tank. There's no other cars home to make a trip to a servo and fill up the jerry can (I've sprained my right knee rather awkardly and walking hurts quite a bit at the moment. I can stand up and drive fine though).

I did a spark test and it came up fine, all the plugs are fine and the starter motor turns the engine over nice and quick. How can i determine which of these it could be?
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 14:25   #2 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Re: XF won't start!

If your worried about if its fuel, just poor some down the carby throat and see what happens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech