XH ignition problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2007, 02:57   #1 (permalink)

XH ignition problem

hey there
i just built a engine for my brothers XH ute and we cant get the ignition timming right!
on tooth of the gear the engine is too retarded and the other the engine is too advanced the only thing i could think of was that the dizzy he got for it is maybe for a EL and they could be diffrent!
if there was more adjustment with out the module hitting the manifold or the block it would be fine but we dont have that luxury any help would be greatful!
cheers
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 23:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: XH ignition problem

Because the XH is basically the same as an EL, you have to put the ECU into static mode so you can set the base timing. Search the forum on how to do this.

You need to bidge two pins on the diagnosis connector and then start the engine. The revs should increase to about 1500 and then die back to a steady idle. Connect the timing light to #1 pot and aim it at the crankshaft pulley and the timing mark. After about 90 seconds you should see the timing alter and then stabilise. Set your base timing to this. Caution - be patient and wait for the timing to settle. It does take a while, and it will go down in steps. I got mine wrong because I did niot wait long enough.

If you don't trick the ECU you'll never get it right because the ECU dynamically alters timing to suit engine condiitons. Oh yes, make the final check with the engine at normal temp and with all accesories off.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 00:21   #3 (permalink)

Re: XH ignition problem

yeah we set base timing
but as soon as the computer takes control of the ignition again it just goes retarded and the more you rev it the more the computer will; retard the timming!
he is driving the car now and it seems the more he drives it the better it gets so who knows!
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech