XH Snorkel and Box Benefits? Outcome??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2004, 04:48   #1 (permalink)
GUN.40L

XH Snorkel and Box Benefits? Outcome???

What are the benefits of an XH snorkel??? When i bought my eb there was a pod fitted directly onto the manifold, no piping or anything which i thought ran too much hot air in, so i bought an EB air box and snorkel and fitted it, the car didnt sound too good (i loved the roar!) so i used the bottom piping from the box, put the pod on the end of this pipe.

Now the pod sat in the exact position as the box would so i made some brackets up and put the snorkel and lid of the air box directly on top of the pod so cold air could hit it from the top. The pod from the bottom is exposed though. Does this sound like a reasonable set up??

The car still sounds good now but i was wondering if a Xh snorkel and box would be better or if i manage to close off the pod top and bottom, would that be better? Also if you do not reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 30 min after you play around with air filters, will the car eat up more fuel? (my car shows on highway 13.5L/100km an local 14.5L/100km. Although when i cleaned the throttle body it dropped that day to 12.7L/100km?? So im guessing the filter has something to do with it.

Sorry for all the questions but after searching the site it has got me confused as to what to do!

Last edited by BOSXR8; 05-03-2004 at 04:51. Reason: Didnt make sense!
BOSXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Re: XH Snorkel and Box Benefits? Outcome???

Sure the XH snorkel will feed some cool air to your pod but the beneifits, if plausable, are barely noticed!!! it looks like its a good thing but really it dosnt do much IMO!!!

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:19   #3 (permalink)
Safety Commitee Tim

id take the POD off. Run the XH intake set-up intake-airbox-TB, and leave it. Unless that pods getting cold clean air from the airbox or out the engine your just sucking in hot engine still...

XR8 MUMBO HERE
EF_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
FPVWEPN

the xh snorkel loooks good and stock but u will not notice F*** all
King Springs Superlows, K-mac camber-castor kit, colour coded interior, AU3 Xr8 Snorkle, K&N pod Filter, Deribbed Air Box, AutoLite Plugs, JMM Race Series Headers, High flow cat, 2.5 inch Redback exaust, 3" stainless steel intake, dev 5 cam, rollmaster timing gear, crow valve springs, stainless steel valves, dev 5 head, au headgasket, 4.11 LSD "174 rwks!!!"
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 15:42   #5 (permalink)

change the botom intake hose from teh ed one to a ea one better flow and bigger hose and run a k&n panel filter
ktmendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 18:49   #6 (permalink)
GUN.40L

So many choices!!! hhhmmmmm what to go for...... The Ea bottom hose is better than the eb one? bigger only in diameter or length also?
Old 05-03-2004, 19:41   #7 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Id get rid of the rubber intake pipe al together, and get a 3" madrel bent steel elbow.
Then id enclose the botom where the pod is, that way you will get minimal hot air from the engine, that way you can still use the airbox lid, and put an XH snorkle on it.
What you want is to keep the hot air out.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 19:37   #8 (permalink)
XR8 XR6 Club of Victoria

I installed the XH snorkle but could not notice any difference between that and the original. The cross-sectional diameter of the original and the XH are identical.
I've left the XH snorkle on as I have EL thermos installed.

K&N - definitely has noticeable benefits.

The ED rubber intake pipe has a venturi at the airbox end which significantly reduces the diameter - has the benefit of quietening the induction noise.
Installing the EA/EB version did have a definitely noticeable, albiet small, effect and the increase in induction noise is not that noticeable - and sounds OK to me anyway.

The pod filter looks good but testing has not shown any real benefit ( I did a bunch of this and have spoken to others who have dyno'ed various combos). The EA/EB tube with a K&N did as good a job if not better. IMO - pods - not worth the mucking around unless it's looks your after.
TBH: (the better half) drives an ED XR6 wagon (Mock Dev 4 160rwkw, JMM extractors, 4 electric windows, Ghia door panels in XR trim, rear head & arm rests in XR trim, Momo s/wheel with Cruise, EL thermos, EBGT wheels, etc) things to come soon = EECV upgrade.
Muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:50   #9 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

at least pods sound awesome - so if you are racing someone and you are on their right hand side, all they hear is awesome induction roar followed by a bellowing zorst note as you ca@p all over them :)

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:24   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

When I put an XH snorkle on all I noticed was a different induction sound at full throttle, maybe a little more responsive, but I think it was a placebo effect.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech