XR cam ID#? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2002, 03:43   #1 (permalink)
EB wagon

XR cam ID#?

Does anyone know how to ID an authentic XR cam?? Should there be a serial number stamped on it somewhere?

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2002, 15:50   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

There will be a part number on it. Maybe ring up a Dealer and ask for the art number?
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 16:57   #3 (permalink)
EB wagon

I rang a few places todaY too get an install quote on the cam (most were around $150) and this one guy reckons the cam wont run properly with the standard ECU... is this bullshit or what??
He reckons it will run lean... of course he was trying to sell me a UniChip....

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 17:14   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent79
.....this one guy reckons the cam wont run properly with the standard ECU... is this bullshit or what??
He reckons it will run lean.....
I thought modified Falcons were prone to running rich not lean. This uses more fuel but is less likely to damage the engine. Still doesn't optimise power though.

The reason;

Lumpier Cam => lower manifold vacuum => the ECU thinks the engine is loaded more than it actually is => responds by dumping in more fuel.
Old 11-17-2002, 17:40   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Well if its any help, I ran a EF cam in MY ea and it ran like an absolute shitbox.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:44   #6 (permalink)
Qld Rep 4 E Series Club.

frown Yes and no........

Yes it will run rich on a standard car but running extractors and 2 1/2 inch system it will actually run lean with a lumpyier cam.I expenced this with my car so I needed a chip and it went from 14:1 to 11.5:1 at WOT on the dyno and gained 8kw and nice pull all the way through the rev range.

It will run ok on a standard car.Remeber Brent, DaveG ran the same XR cam in his car without the chip and we didn't really notice any difference in performance.After the chip was done thats when it started to shine like mine did.I am not sure what AFA it was running but it would have been lean.

Cya Lukey.

QLD REP 4 EA-ED club.
lukeyn039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech