XR6 AU questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2002, 16:05   #1 (permalink)

XR6 AU questions

Hi, I recently got a 98 AU with 35km's on the clock and are absolutely loving it after years of boring V6 camry ownership, great to have a lively tiller again.

Have a couple of questions though.

What oil do most of you run, I'm not a helix fan so am interested.

Tyre recommendations, currently on the stock bathhurst, comments, recommendations welcome.

And finally tyre pressures, what do most of you run.

Cheers

Cyril
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2002, 16:22   #2 (permalink)
Crikey

Mate, try doing some searches on previous threads, you'll probably find what you are looking for as there has been some good discussion on XR's over the last few months.

Glad you like the AU, I also returned to the fold after four years of Camry (company car) driving. Camry is a good car but you are right... boring as bat poo.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 19:50   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Hi cyril,

Good to see another fellow AU XR6 driver. Inregards to oil, i've previously used the Castrol Soft tec 5w-30. Currently i'm trailing Mobil 1 in 10w-30. Pretty much i'd reccomend a synthetic oil and keep the oil to a w30 weight.

In regards to tyre pressure i'm running 37psi all round but i have the 17 x 8inch wheels with Dunlop SP9000's.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 20:43   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments guy's. Had a good search around. Strider your comments seem to reflect a lot of what I have found.

I am however curious as to why Ford have spec'ed such light oil, normally I would have just used Mobil 1 15-50, the standard stuff, however there seems a deliction for 5-30?.

As for tyres will keep my ear to the ground.

Cheers
Old 10-20-2002, 21:00   #5 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by cyril
I am however curious as to why Ford have spec'ed such light oil, normally I would have just used Mobil 1 15-50, the standard stuff, however there seems a deliction for 5-30?.
Contrary to what everyone believes the AU 4.0L has been extensively upgraded from the E Series engine, one of the features i've read is that the pistons have a special coating on them to reduce friction. The crank was revised as well.
I think the engine has been built to a tighter tollerance to the previous thus requiring the use of thin oil.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 10-20-2002, 21:15   #6 (permalink)
Crikey

Sorry this is off the topic, but Gaz if I ever get to do a run with the Club I'll bring the digital camera so we can get some shots of the XR. Mate the garage has gotta go. lol

Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:38   #7 (permalink)

Lighter oil is spcified for reduced fuel consumption. Make sure you use 10w30 , 5w30 will disappear through pcv valve. A 15w40 is ok also & the engines durability won't change if you don't use a synthetic. The coating on the piston is teflon.
steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 13:01   #8 (permalink)

Thanks steed, kind of detail I was after.

Cheers for all your comments

Cyril
Old 10-22-2002, 18:23   #9 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Blurter
Sorry this is off the topic, but Gaz if I ever get to do a run with the Club I'll bring the digital camera so we can get some shots of the XR. Mate the garage has gotta go. lol
Yeah yeah i know it ain't a real good pic, but i couldn't be bothered to drive somewhere at the time "i used the bodgy work camera", and alas the drive way had to do with the home of my baby in the background.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech