XR6 bitsa - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 20:08   #1 (permalink)

XR6 bitsa

Can anyone help
I just got an EB XR6 auto with maybe EF? EL? Tickford motor or just head? its got extractors, exhaust and K&N pod filter
The ECU is remanufactured EA EB auto
It idles rough sometimes hot or cold doesn't matter?
It runs rich full tank pulp 285 kms!!!!
The inlet manifold valve is cable tied one direction
Sometimes in economy mode it goes and shifts like power mode until it decides its had enough.
Fans are controlled by a davies craig controller? (temp gauge works fine)

My uneducated guess is its the ecu. Can i just plug in a ef/el ecu will it work with the eb harness, dash etc.

I know nothing of the blue oval world who knows if i can get this thing to work properly i might even defect

Any advice will be appreciated

CHEERS
gpayne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 00:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: XR6 bitsa

My suggestion- get an el wiring harness and ecu. Does your car have smartlock? If it does, no problems! If not, you will have to get around the smartlock in the el ecu somehow. I believe Castlemaine rod shop can do this. I am not at all surprised it runs like *&%$. The xr6 has different injectors and fuel pressure reg - so will run very rich with a standard eb ecu. Maybe you will be lucky with the transmission control - if it works, good!

Best of luck. (At least it is not a Holden)
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:04   #3 (permalink)

thanx i'm thinking of an aftermarket engine management and a turbo if im gonna have problems might as well make it worth it, the last performance car i owned had 400 rwhp and im gettin the itch gonna have to scratch!!!
gpayne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:10   #4 (permalink)

well is it just the head thats EF/EL , or does it have a bbm manifold as well, what is cable tied.... do you mean the vacume valve on the manifold to fully open it (BBM only) If you have a multipoint manifold, you should be getting an EB XR6 ecu. As they control the fuel system which has been recalibrated and supports a larger fuel pump. (for some reason) I think this is your problem. this is why its running rich as shit, cause the pumps forcing to much fuel in and the sparks probly to retarded. The EB XR6 ECU also runs the auto hey??? and I know that the auto's in EB XR6's had different shift points.

if your fans (not standard) are running of a davies thermostate, than oviously they will still work regardless of ECU

Also perhaps cut that cable tie, if its the one im thinking about it should be vacume, in which case oviously check condition of vacume line.

what markings are on the front of the cylinder head?
Killr_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:20   #5 (permalink)
EMW ??? Whats missing ?

MAte cut the cable TIE the manifold is stuck on LONG runner and will make lots of low down torque but SFA up top..... IT also will make the engine ping like a bitch running at stock igniton timing. I Am running a BBM with a AU motor with EF xr head in my EB series 2, It was undrivable on Long runner, the timing had to be wound so far back it wasnt funny.
Ef-Ba's Get around this with a knock sensor.... they run as much ignition as they can and if any detonation is found the timing is knocked back... this is somthing the EB ecu is not cabable of doing...
THe timing is prob that retarded, that its affecting the idle quality and the economy of the engine.. Chuck a timing light on and you will see what i mean, as they must have it pretty retarded

sounds like its Not an XR6 at all .... Check the diff if its not a 3.45 then its deffently a MEGA bitsa.. like most of em these days.
Also Most Xr parts will have a DT part number... Parts like the CAM inside the motor will have a DT casting number if genuine XR6.

To be Honest mate id chuck the OLD LOG style inlet manifold back on, As with the EB-ED ECU's these work the best.
3.7 lsd
AU bottem end
ELXR6 ported Head
PH4480 Pacemakers
INJECTED250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech