Ford Forums banner

XR6 Heads vs Stock I6 Heads

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  EDFUTURA 
#1 ·
Have a EFII Fairmont I6. Wondering if replacing the stock heads with EF/EL XR6 heads will make the car perform better in any way. Only mods currently done are T-Series Intake and 2.5" Cat back exhaust. Need to get some more power out of the car without using a supercharger or turbo (perhaps later on Ü).

Or is porting the stock heads a better option?

Anyone know a good company in Sydney that will do a good porting job for the I6 heads?

Will also pop in a Crow Cam to suit as well.

Anybody know any performance shop that deals with the 4.0L motor in Sydney. Wish I was in melbourne, then I'd just pop into Herrod's.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
Hey Mate... : )

I just ported out the standard head on my car and installed Xr valvesprings and the crow cam model 2222519.....

I didnt bother with valves as the Xr inlet is the same and the outlet is only 2 mm bigger and i was told for 50 odd bucks a valve it wasnt worth changing them..... :)

Unfortunatly i have only just started the car and gone for a run around the block for the first time about an hour ago and i dont have extractors fitted yet.... so i cant be sure of the difference it has made, but it definately feels a lot better.... :)

At the moment it is a bit of a pig as it wont hold the idle but i will fix that tomorrow.... But as it stands i definately think it was worth the change..... : )

#3 ·
I've fitted a brand new EFXR6 head to my ED and across the board found it to make a noticeable difference - not earth shattering but noticeable.

The old head had been reconditioned only about 30000km previously as well - and had been shaved twice in it's life - so the difference wasn't simply down to a "fresh" head or the supposed increased comp ratio of the EFXR head.

Initially I installed it with the EDXR6 cam that was in the old head so was getting a direct comparison. I then fitted a Crow 22825 cam for a while (gave it every chance - ie. for the ecu to adjust) then put the EFXR6 cam in - which goes the best of all three.

An alternative might be to have Jim Mock do your head up for you - or get hold of an old head and get him to do that up. He also does cams that sound like good gear - tho I haven't tried one yet (probably do it next month).

#5 ·
The EFXR6 head cost me about $600 - that was with seats and guides fitted but not valves etc.

The valves, springs, spring seats, spring retainers, collets and a "Top" gasket kit (which included guide seals, head gasket etc.) cost about $280.

Then there was freight which cost about $80.

I get parts thru my Brother who's in the parts retail business selling truck parts (he gets fairly hefty discounts) so my example might be pretty much trade price I guess.

Call some Ford spares departments and ask - don't feel you have to stick to your own area either - it may be entirely possible to get a better price - even with freight included - from a different city.

#6 ·
Benny Gatt behind USA imports Hoxton pk Rd. I see there is a place further up the road [west] that add high flow heads as well..Benny 's bussness is called superflow heads I think???
He is a Ford Nut.Remember Gonzo, I the Capri ? Gonzo 2 the Falcon coupe/ 3 an eb doorslamer...I would say he's a Ford man!!!!!

#7 ·
I should have added - in the final analysis I probably could have had my head or another secondhand head worked over pretty trick by a performance shop for about the same or maybe less (at worst only a couple hundred more) - so it's definitely worth exploring possibilities - I now wish I had done that.

Kostecki engines in Perth reckon that for about $800 they can get a std head making something like 6 more horses per cylinder. That's in the order of 26Kw - which sounds realistic - to be frank I wish I had done that now (only found out once the EF head was on it's way - Du-oh!) - eventually this head will get sent away for that - ie. when the engine is reconditioned next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.