XR6 Mods. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2002, 13:01   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

XR6 Mods.

Hey,

Just got myself a 'XR6 AU 98 Manaul' & looking at doing some basic mods. I heard 2.5inch Exaust & Extractors & one of the first mods to do. I visited my local shop & they recommend PaceMaker extracotrs with a custom 2.5inch sports. Is this the best way to go or is it better with the Xr6 Headers & a 2.5 inch? How much peformance will i be getting (with the combo) & has anyone done this yet? Any other brands worth tryin? Thanks for your time & inputs.

Memphis.

PS. Anyone took the red stripe off around the XR6? Whats the easiest way to do that?
memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2002, 13:56   #2 (permalink)
Cobra188

That exhaust setup sounds OK - make sure they replace the cat with a 2.5" as well - I've seem some ppl try to save money by keeping the original cat but you are wasting your time and money on the rest of the system if you don't put a hi flow cat in. You will notice big improvements in the mid range - after about 1500 rpm - it is a good idea to have the exhuast gas CO checked at high rpm to make sure she doesn't start to lean out - mostly the ECU will compensate but it is still worth checking for your own peace of mind or the results can be expensive after a long high speed run.
Old 06-23-2002, 18:08   #3 (permalink)
"Bloody Beautiful"

Give Rob Herrod a call. 03 9464 5100. You will not be disappointed. He supplied exhaust system complete for my previous AU I XR6 and the change was considerable.

On top of that he's top bloke to deal with and always prepared to help.
------------------------------------------------
TE50 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 18:24   #4 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

There is tonnes of different exhaust types around, you just have to ask around and try to see as many dynosheets as possible!! There is heaps of different types of headers around, pacemakeers are obviously pretty popular. I just installed a set of advanced headers to my I6 and was astounded at the performance increase! Advanced is a south australian company, and the guy who runs it spends tonnes of time on the dyno getting the right result, these headers were specifically designed for use with the AU I6 falcon, all of the dyno sheets i saw from people that had used them had out performed pacemaker. It really is up to the individual to pick the ones they believe will suit their car, there is heaps around... I can more then recomend Advanced and am so wraped with the performance!

As for the rest of the exhaust... as cobra says, you need a high flow car really, 2.5" piping would be the optimium pipe sizing to use. If you have the money mandrel bent is the way to go!

I was recommended not to go for Stainless Extractors as i was told by a few people that it just causes unneccessary engine bay heat, for an unneccessary price, unless your planning on keeping your car for more then say 10 years, but ask around heaps and no doubt you will get some pretty good advice from here! welcome to the mad house!!!
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 18:30   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Regarding the red stripe, are you referring to some sort of pin striping? If so, it's pretty annoying and time-consuming to get off - it's just a matter of using Eucalyptus oil, etc and rubbing away forever.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 18:53   #6 (permalink)
Jim Mock Motorsport

Exhaust

Hi there,

An exhaust system is the best start to your performance gains...Au's especially.....

Jim mock Motorsport systems are proven and tested to give good power gains and aren't loud either....using custom heat coated extractors and 2.5 " system....In the auxr6....upto 125 rwkw are obtainable.....with the dev 3 cam....upto 145 rwkw is even better......with better fuel enonomy also common...

regards brenden
Grunt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 18:54   #7 (permalink)
Jim Mock Motorsport

They can also send kits interstate to be fitted by your preffered mechanic.... :)
Grunt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 21:16   #8 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Herrod Motorsport has just finished new XR6 exhausts, complete from HPC coated headers, hi-flow cats with 2.5" exhaust and bolt straight in, can even be fitted yourself. This is slightly different to the Herrod system I had installed to my XR6, which showed good gains both on the dyno and with my right foot. No drone at all but sounds great with the foot down on the loud pedal. Expect a 10-15kW rwkW increase. I had 136rwkW up from 123rwkW from before/after dyno runs without learning. (Dyno'd recently at 156.5rwkW, but on a different dyno...)
Old 06-24-2002, 03:12   #9 (permalink)

Yeah give Jim Mock a call !
From what I have heard from a couple of people he/they are a very friendly and helpful group of people !

Plus, I am kicking myself at the moment that I have spent $$$$$ on my car in terms of exhuast, extractors, and cam, and paid much more than what Mock Performance is asking for a far superior system than what I have now !

Oh well, we all live and learn (some of us the hard way !)

Cheers
Matti
Xyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 07:22   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thanks alot for the replys!

Just dropped down to my local shop & there chasing around $520 for a 2.5inch Mandrel Bent & Hurricane Extractors. Anyone no what they are like, he said there identical to the PaceMakers but for $50 less. Is it worth paying the extra $50 for the PaceMakers in 'your' opinion(s). Or is it just all in the name?

Also what would i be lookin at for a 2.5inch High-Flow Cat? & Is this setup going to be to noisy or put out a nice note?

Thanks again

Memphis.
memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech