XR6 VCT Acceleration Problem! A FIX :) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2002, 22:41   #1 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

XR6 VCT Acceleration Problem! A FIX :)

Not sure how many of you people out there have had a problem with your XR6 VCT when accelerating hard. Well for those who don't know what Iam talking about what happens is that when accelerating hard in my AUII XR6VCT, in first gear, occassionally the power cuts outs at around 3500-4000rpm.

Anyhow I took my car into the dealer the other day to get my headlights fixed (moisture in them) and mentioned it. They didn't know anything about it and fobed me saying it was probably the way I was driving the car. So unless it got worse I thought I would just have to live with it.

However today while at an Australia Day Public Hoilday BBQ I found myself talking to a Ford Service Manager and I just brought it up and straight away he knew what I was talking about. Basically this problem, as far as he knew, only occured in AUIII model XR's and was due to the fuel pump. Eg not being able to suck enough fuel in and cutting out the motor.

I said that my car was an AUII not an AUIII and he said if it is one of the later cars built it most likey has the same fuel pump as fitted to the AUIII's. He said what they have been doing to fix the problem is to replace the fuel pump.

Therefore anyone who has ever had their VCT cut out under hard acceleration I recomend you ask your dealer to check the fuel pump on your next service.

Yes Iam very happy now as this problem has been bugging me for sometime now, at least I can now, armed with the facts, get this car fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2002, 02:48   #2 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

XR6VCT !! Or anyone else with a manual XR6VCT, have you ever had a problem with the amount of rev's you have to give the car whilst on full steering lock and reversing. I find with mine that I cannot give it normal rev's to reverse in this circumstance as it just wants to stall. It's even worse with the A/Con on.

It needs around 1800 to 2000 rpm.. Strange......

Nipper......
Old 01-28-2002, 19:53   #3 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nipper
XR6VCT !! Or anyone else with a manual XR6VCT, have you ever had a problem with the amount of rev's you have to give the car whilst on full steering lock and reversing. I find with mine that I cannot give it normal rev's to reverse in this circumstance as it just wants to stall. It's even worse with the A/Con on.

Sorry Nipper, haven't noticed that one! I just want to solve the 'juddering' whilst reversing with full lock....

Might have to ring the dealer today to chase up what's going on, haven't heard anything since they logged a "PACE case" with Ford.

Simon....
Old 01-29-2002, 23:42   #4 (permalink)
BAII XR6T Driver!

Quote:

Nipper......
Hi Nipper,

I think I may know what you are talking about, I am not sure. What I have noticed is that sometimes when reversing out of my driveway or a car spot you need to give it a decent amount of revs or it will stall. Certainly more than you think it would need.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:26   #5 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by XR6VCT

Hi Nipper,

I think I may know what you are talking about, I am not sure. What I have noticed is that sometimes when reversing out of my driveway or a car spot you need to give it a decent amount of revs or it will stall. Certainly more than you think it would need.
Exactly, under normal conditions at the rev's needed you would expect to light up the tyres.

Does anyone have any ideas??????????
Old 01-30-2002, 02:44   #6 (permalink)
BSR

Quote:

Exactly, under normal conditions at the rev's needed you would expect to light up the tyres.

Does anyone have any ideas??????????
Get an auto or take your driving test again......does that help??

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 02:49   #7 (permalink)
goooone

Quote:

Nipper......
My Magna had a similar problem & it turned out to be the idler motor or something similar to that name was burnt out.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 20:19   #8 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

There's a pressure switch on the steering rack of the ED which cues the ECU to automatically compensate engine revs when the steering system is loaded up - ie. via the idle valve - presumably AU's would be the same - so it could be worth checking the wiring to the switch.

- or alternatively, if the ECU is trying to do it's job in that manner but you have a manifold leak, then the result would be similar - a manifold leak on my machine made it really difficult to get into gear or maneouver at low speed (car parks).
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech