Xw falcon x-flow or non x-flow? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2004, 19:13   #1 (permalink)

Xw falcon x-flow or non x-flow?

hey guys just ought a xw falcon with 221 non-crossflow engine, was wondering whether the crossflow is better? and can the heads be interchanged or are they different?
Tim_001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2004, 20:42   #2 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: Xw falcon x-flow or non x-flow?

Do a search on 2V head's, that's what you need to get her moving better.there are a few thread's about this.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 00:22   #3 (permalink)

2V heads are the shit. Either try to source one for your 221 or try and hunt down a pre XFLOW 250 with a 2v head already in it. A bloke was selling a worked 250 2v with a 600 Holley on it this time last year. Reckoned it made over 250 HP. Worth a look.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:37   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.O.G.U.E.
2V heads are the shit. Either try to source one for your 221 or try and hunt down a pre XFLOW 250 with a 2v head already in it. A bloke was selling a worked 250 2v with a 600 Holley on it this time last year. Reckoned it made over 250 HP. Worth a look.
600 holley is a bit of an overkill isn't it.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:02   #5 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Surely a crossflow head would be better than a 2V though wouldn't it?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 20:47   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Surely a crossflow head would be better than a 2V though wouldn't it?
It sure would - especially if you want to use unleaded fuel and not worry about valve seat regression (assuming you get an alloy head x-flow).

I have just installed a crossflow from an XF into my ZC Fairlane and it all works really well...

I used all the XF wiring loom and quite a bit of the other XF stuff (including the exhaust system)

For an investment of $300 (including the tow truck) I got a 1986 XF Wagon and swapped over engine, gearbox, steering column, wiring loom, cool air intake, battery tray, diff, A/C condensor and engine bay hoses.

I ended up using a radiator from an XA V8 with the appropriate mounts (slight mods required for the bottom mounts), but I am pretty sure that the XF radiator would fit (my XY Wagon has a wide XF radiator installed)
I reckon the XF radiator is probably a better choice (free if you get a good one in the donor car), but by the time I had worked that out, I had already forked out $400+ for a brand new XA rad, which has giant tanks anyhow so it is probably 6 of one half a dozen of the other.
Both rads really needed some of the radiator support panel cut away to make them fit properly with the factory brackets.

With the XF conversion, you get a few features that are nice to have:
  • Runs on Unleaded fuel with no additives required
  • Modern, thick rimmed steering wheel of legal (factory) size
  • Hazard light flasher
  • Headlight flasher on the column
  • Wiper switch on the column
  • Electronic ignition (no points to wear out)
  • Factory Aircon equipment (indoor unit still required)
  • Honda designed, true "Hemi" head
  • Easy path to EFI induction
  • Lighter engine than iron head 6

To get the electronic ignition loom into the cabin without the giant oval hole that they used on the XF, I took the clutch blanking plate off and fed all the engine bay connectors through from the cabin side (I had to cut the distributor and testing plugs off and join them back on with connectors because they were too big to poke through the hole)

I can probably answer most questions you may have about all this, so ask away.

Cost-wise, this is by far the best engine conversion I have done to the Fairlane... (5th engine since I have owned the car)
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 23:27   #7 (permalink)
Whats traction?

I'm going against the trend here. I reckon a 221 with a 2v head (engine rebuilt and the head worked up) with a 5spd and 3.9's in the diff would be hard to beat on the street.

My mates 2v headed XW was the toughest NA 6 i've ever known... V8 drivers wouldn't believe it was a 6 after it kicked their asses!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:34   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
I'm going against the trend here. I reckon a 221 with a 2v head (engine rebuilt and the head worked up) with a 5spd and 3.9's in the diff would be hard to beat on the street.

My mates 2v headed XW was the toughest NA 6 i've ever known... V8 drivers wouldn't believe it was a 6 after it kicked their asses!
I guess it depends on how much one has to spend and what the desired outcome is.

We have a 2V 250 in an XY ute and it is a JET!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:52   #9 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Would you be able to give us an idea of how they compare then tuffzc - 250 xflow in Fairlane vs 250 2V in ute?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:26   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Would you be able to give us an idea of how they compare then tuffzc - 250 xflow in Fairlane vs 250 2V in ute?
Bit tricky at present - the ute has gone to the panel shop for rust repair and the ZC has a few little jobs left before roadworthy:
- finish off dash install (install vent handles, screws etc)
- adapt XF windscreen wiper motor (to save having to work out wiring)
- get exhaust modified a bit
- get passenger side Recaro back from upholstrer

I only started XFing the ZC three weeks ago - probably go for rego next week - then I'll know how it goes - it'll be a bit slower off the mark due to the 2.77 diff from the XF wagon.

I reckon I could do that conversion in about a week now that I know how all the XF bits fit on the early model car...

The 2V was previously in the ZC with a C4 and a 3.5 diff - pretty quick machine if a little heavy on fuel - brobably due to the low gears.
It was VERY quick from 0-60km/h, starting to run out of puff by 150km/h.

Main reason for going the crossflow is to run on unleaded fuel - we plan on using the ZC for road trips south, so tall diff and other cool modern stuff is pretty essential (we currently us a 3.8l VN Commodore for these trips, so the Fairlane is up against tough opposition in the comfort and fuel economy stakes...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech