Yet another turbo 6 question! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2003, 22:27   #1 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

Yet another turbo 6 question!

Sorry for asking this guys but I have recently put a deposit on a nice new GT30 600hp turbo (thanks gas250), I will be picking it up in 2 weeks.
My plan is to get it set up to run on mums EA and down the track take her car when she upgrades or buy an ED or something similar in the next few months.

I want to eventually have a 11.5-12 second reliable daily driver. How much power should I be aiming for? what size injectors would I need and how much would these cost? I will most likely use an aftermarket computer like wolf 3d or something. Which fuel pump etc?
I pretty much know how the engine will be built through GM's posts( EF block, crank and rods with EA race series pistons and all the rest), buts its the fuel side of things Im not sure of.

Also seeing as manual E series are so hard to find and not strong anyway and the auto trans is weak what should i do about a transmission? Should I save the pennies and get a tremec? Is there another 4 speed auto alternative? AOD? What would something like this cost?

What kind of boost can a standard EA engine take? In case I want to test things on mums car.

Thanks guys, and yes I have searched this topic everywhere.
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2003, 22:45   #2 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

Re: Yet another turbo 6 question!

Get 550cc injectors or larger, Bosch motorsport pump, AOD option is too hard, stick with the auto now as there seems to be some development going on with the BTR 4sp to get them to take some power. Otherwise a TKO if you can afford it or a EL/AU trans secondhand.

Re engine management side, I make plug and play adaptor harnesses that allows a EMS 8860 programable engine management to be plugged directly into all EA to ED auto and manual vehicles. I've just finished doing the auto harness which retains the original computer for auto control and fuel ignition for the EMS 8860. It works great. Just plug it in and drive. All tuning has been done for a stock EA to ED
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 22:46   #3 (permalink)
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo

Slap the GT30 on the 351
Old 12-25-2003, 22:54   #4 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

I was thinking that XF6250 but it seems like so much hassle, a turbo V8 would be awesome and I could use a holley and set it up blowthrough but I doubt the engine would last long as I wouldnt have the faintest how to tune it and I dont know of anyone who can tune a blowthrough turbo holley. I would only be able to run low boost cos I dont know the compression of the engine, is there any way of finding out without taking the heads off? How much power would 8 pounds give a 351?
I will be sure to research both options though. Its funny beating 6 cylinder VT's with my car now, Imagaine the look on the GTS drivers face when i pass him in my XF.
I might start anther thread on the turbo V8 question.

Turbotrana, that was some great info and The engine management work you are doing sounds unreal and like a very nice option as i have heard good things about the EMS 8860.

Thanks a lot guys
Dan
Old 12-26-2003, 17:01   #5 (permalink)

There is several efi computers that could easily do the job but I would not recommend the Wolf3D Ver3 it doesn't have many load points, ver4 is 110% better.

I would be looking at 500cc injectors minimum, 400cc will get you ~420fwhp only which I believe is well short of the turbo you have.

Since its an EA auto tranny why don't you try out one of 9psi EB's shift kits with a tranny cooler, I have been told this should hold to 250rwhp. The tranny is probably not going to be worth anything anyway considering the later models are a vast improvement.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 18:47   #6 (permalink)
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo

I'd go a Wolf 3D Ver 4, injectors i'd go something big as not ford suggested, maybe even slightly bigger, as for the auto you can bolt up a C series automatic behind the 4.0 motors.
Old 12-26-2003, 20:49   #7 (permalink)
Team Betta Racing

Just a completely stupid question, but what's this EMS 8860?
coxy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 22:11   #8 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

So i could use the V8 C10 I have now behind the 4.0 litre? what would i need to change to get it to fit?

Anyone know what sort of boost a completely stock EA MPI can handle?
Old 12-26-2003, 23:58   #9 (permalink)
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo

Dan, just a suggestion, run it on str8 gas, that way u dont worry about injectors, fuel pumps, ecu etc
Old 12-27-2003, 00:07   #10 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

But isnt a good reliable gas system from GRA just as expensive as buying injectors and fuel management?
which way have you gone? Gas or petrol?
Ill have to ask GAS 250 some questions I think.

Thanks alot guys.
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech