12 second 351 cheap and easy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 21:44   #1 (permalink)

12 second 351 cheap and easy

hi, do you want to run 12s in a falcon with a mild well manored 351 that is good on fuel? well read on. i started with a XE falcon GL with no power steering and took all the aircon system out. re-con c4 auto with 2500rpm hi-stall and shift kit. 3.5 b/w diff with welded centre. rear springs are standard. now the motor. 30" 351c with ported heads that anyone with half brain could do. the short turn on the inlet is rounded off and guide is tear droped . std 2V inlet valve is used. exhaust is throted out in the pocket and tear droped as well. 4V exhaust valve is used. the ports are not made any bigger. closed chamber or open will work. just deck the block if open chambers are used. springs with 100lbs- 120lbs will work as the motor only revs to 5500rpm. manifold is a edelbrock performer with 1in plastic open spacer and 750vac holley square bore carb with 28" squirter and #73 primary jets and 6.5 power valve. ignition is a standard electronic off a XD or XE. cam is a crow 21665 280-290 212-224@50" 2200-5500rpm. i used roller rockers but are not needed. extractors are geni or pacemaker tunned length 4 into 1 only. tri-ys will loose power.exhaust is a 2 1/2 single system with one straight through muffler. mine was a lukey.also use a electric fuel pump and twin electric fans with a shacker scoop and 85amp alternator. with a 26-27in tyre you will run 5200rpm over the line with shifts at 5000rpm. i ran a 12.86@104mph with a 1.91 60" time. after i got that time i got the dizy regraphed , fitted a electric water pump drive and 3" exhaust and rebuilt the motor with 302 conrods and hypertech pistons. it now runs mid 12s but slicks would be needed to get any better. the car was a daily driver with good fuel economy around town. it has now made way for a solid cam 3800 stall 3.9 diff XF ute that run low 12s but the XE was more fun and cost 1/3 the price. so there you have it. any questions please feel free to ask. i will give brand names and contacts to anyone wanting to learn more.... thanks glen..
xrglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 21:57   #2 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Re: 12 second 351 cheap and easy

A twin 2 1/4 " exhaust system would work better.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 13:34   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrglen
hi, do you want to run 12s in a falcon with a mild well manored 351 that is good on fuel? well read on. i started with a XE falcon GL with no power steering and took all the aircon system out. re-con c4 auto with 2500rpm hi-stall and shift kit. 3.5 b/w diff with welded centre. rear springs are standard. now the motor. 30" 351c with ported heads that anyone with half brain could do. the short turn on the inlet is rounded off and guide is tear droped . std 2V inlet valve is used. exhaust is throted out in the pocket and tear droped as well. 4V exhaust valve is used. the ports are not made any bigger. closed chamber or open will work. just deck the block if open chambers are used. springs with 100lbs- 120lbs will work as the motor only revs to 5500rpm. manifold is a edelbrock performer with 1in plastic open spacer and 750vac holley square bore carb with 28" squirter and #73 primary jets and 6.5 power valve. ignition is a standard electronic off a XD or XE. cam is a crow 21665 280-290 212-224@50" 2200-5500rpm. i used roller rockers but are not needed. extractors are geni or pacemaker tunned length 4 into 1 only. tri-ys will loose power.exhaust is a 2 1/2 single system with one straight through muffler. mine was a lukey.also use a electric fuel pump and twin electric fans with a shacker scoop and 85amp alternator. with a 26-27in tyre you will run 5200rpm over the line with shifts at 5000rpm. i ran a 12.86@104mph with a 1.91 60" time. after i got that time i got the dizy regraphed , fitted a electric water pump drive and 3" exhaust and rebuilt the motor with 302 conrods and hypertech pistons. it now runs mid 12s but slicks would be needed to get any better. the car was a daily driver with good fuel economy around town. it has now made way for a solid cam 3800 stall 3.9 diff XF ute that run low 12s but the XE was more fun and cost 1/3 the price. so there you have it. any questions please feel free to ask. i will give brand names and contacts to anyone wanting to learn more.... thanks glen..

G'day xrglen.
I am very interested in your combo, as I have purchased a similar stack of parts (by the sounds of it?) for my ZJ Fairlaine 351 and I am interested to hear some of the part brands and other stuff that you were using on your XE.
As I am now on a very tight budget your combo sounds very good, please let us hear more.

Regards: hoondog
HOON DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 20:26   #4 (permalink)

hi hoon dog. let me know what heads you have, open or closed chamber, and what other parts you already have eg cam and specs, and i will get back to you with more info.. thanks,,glen
Old 10-29-2005, 13:39   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
hi hoon dog. let me know what heads you have, open or closed chamber, and what other parts you already have eg cam and specs, and i will get back to you with more info.. thanks,,glen

G'day xrglen.

Thanks mate

I have Pacemaker 4070's 4 into 1 2V Headers, Crow 21665 cam (I214-E224 Duraton @.050, I.507 E.536 LIFT), Crane valve springs- Singles with Dampner with new retainers and locks, using open chamber XD black block 2V Clevo heads, Dominator 2500 Stall Converter for my FMX tranny, BW LSD 4 Pinion 28 spline diff (2.77:1) - I Know it's a bit tall but it's what I have for now.
Still using original multigroove 2v valves, holley blue with regulator- fuel pump,
Weiand X-celerator 7516 2v Intake manifold, Holley 650 4777C-7 Double pumper carby Crane Energizer Roller rocker conversion Kit,
Engine bottom end is ZJ-XD Black block 351- Stock with just a bit of a freshen up (i.e rings & bearings etc.), 2 1/2 inch redback exhaust system (single) old 14 inch Chevoit black star mags with 215/60 front- 225/60 rear goodyear GA plus and Dunlop ? tires ( also have a Super-powershot nitrous kit if required) Ignition is Stock ZJ-XD Electronic with MSD Blaster 3 coil.
Thats about all I can remember for now.

Thanks again for willing to share some advice

HOON DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 21:48   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON DOG
G'day xrglen.

Thanks mate

I have Pacemaker 4070's 4 into 1 2V Headers, Crow 21665 cam (I214-E224 Duraton @.050, I.507 E.536 LIFT), Crane valve springs- Singles with Dampner with new retainers and locks, using open chamber XD black block 2V Clevo heads, Dominator 2500 Stall Converter for my FMX tranny, BW LSD 4 Pinion 28 spline diff (2.77:1) - I Know it's a bit tall but it's what I have for now.
Still using original multigroove 2v valves, holley blue with regulator- fuel pump,
Weiand X-celerator 7516 2v Intake manifold, Holley 650 4777C-7 Double pumper carby Crane Energizer Roller rocker conversion Kit,
Engine bottom end is ZJ-XD Black block 351- Stock with just a bit of a freshen up (i.e rings & bearings etc.), 2 1/2 inch redback exhaust system (single) old 14 inch Chevoit black star mags with 215/60 front- 225/60 rear goodyear GA plus and Dunlop ? tires ( also have a Super-powershot nitrous kit if required) Ignition is Stock ZJ-XD Electronic with MSD Blaster 3 coil.

TOO EASY, YOU HAVE IT 95% LICKED.
THE FAIRLANE HAS A BIT MORE WEIGHT BUT IM SURE YOU CAN OVERCOME THAT.
FROM MY EXPERIENCE POWER STEERING CAN ADD UPTO .3 sec TO YOUR 1/4 MILE TIME. AND THOSE DIFF GEARS ARE TALLER THAN ME.
IF YOU DO A LOT OF COUNTRY DRIVING, I WOULD GO FOR 3.23 GEARS, BUT 3.5 IS MORE FUN AROUND TOWN. WHEN CHANGING GEARS YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE WHOLE CARRIER AS THE 2.77 HAS AN ODD OFFSET. WHEN CHANGED, ALL 2.92, 3.23, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9 AND 4.125 WILL FIT. THEN GET THE 4V EXHAUST VALVES AND GET THE HEADS DONE BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING. REMEMBER DONT MAKE THE PORT BIGGER, JUST ROUND OFF THE SHORT TURN AND STREAMLINE THE VALVE GUIDE BOSS.
WITH OPEN CHAMBER HEADS, I WOULD RESURFACE LIGHTLY AND THEN REMOVE 15-20 thou OFF THE BLOCK. THIS HELPS YOU GET LESS DECK HIGHT TO HELP WITH QUENCH ON THE OPEN CHAMBERS. ALSO HELPS TO USE THE ACL RACE SERIES PISTONS AS THESE ALSO REDUCE DECK HIGHT. FMX GEARBOXES DRAW A BIT MORE POWER THAN A C4 AND WEIGH MORE. TRY AND GET AU ELECTRIC FANS OR AS I DID 2 CAMIRA FANS. THEY ARE HOLDEN BUT THEY ARE CHEAP AND PUMP BIG AIR.DONT FORGET A 85a ALTERNATOR AS THESE FANS ALONG WITH HOLLEY BLUE REQUIRE MORE POWER.

IT IS HARD TO FIT THE ELECTRIC WATER PUMP DRIVES TO POWER STEER MOTORS BUT YOU CAN MAKE DO.
WITH 3.23 GEARS AND 650 DP IN THE FAIRLANE YOU SHOULD GET A 13.4 1/4 MILE AND 12.8 WITH 75hp NOS. ALSO USE A SHAKER SCOOP IF YOU CAN AS I PICKED UP 18 HP WITH ONE.
BEST OF LUCK AND IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE ON THE HEADS JUST EMAIL ME AT mhbs@bigpond.net.au thanks,,glen

Last edited by xrglen; 10-29-2005 at 23:52. Reason: WRONG WORD
Old 10-29-2005, 21:53   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON DOG
G'day xrglen.

Thanks mate

FROM MY EXPERIENCE POWER STEERING CAN TAKE UPTO .3 sec OFF YOUR 1/4 MILE TIME. AND THOSE DIFF GEARS ARE TALLER THAN ME.
IF YOU DO A LOT OF COUNTRY DRIVING, I WOULD GO FOR 3.23 GEARS, BUT 3.5 IS MORE FUN AROUND TOWN. WHEN CHANGING GEARS YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE WHOLE CARRIER AS THE 2.77 HAS AN ODD OFFSET. WHEN CHANGED, ALL 2.92, 3.23, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9 AND 4.125 WILL FIT. THEN GET THE 4V EXHAUST VALVES AND GET THE HEADS DONE BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING. REMEMBER DONT MAKE THE PORT BIGGER, JUST ROUND OFF THE SHORT TURN AND STREAMLINE THE VALVE GUIDE BOSS.
WITH OPEN CHAMBER HEADS, I WOULD RESURFACE LIGHTLY AND THEN REMOVE 15-20 thou OFF THE BLOCK. THIS HELPS YOU GET LESS DECK HIGHT TO HELP WITH QUENCH ON THE OPEN CHAMBERS. ALSO HELPS TO USE THE ACL RACE SERIES PISTONS AS THESE ALSO REDUCE DECK HIGHT. FMX GEARBOXES DRAW A BIT MORE POWER THAN A C4 AND WEIGH MORE. TRY AND GET AU ELECTRIC FANS OR AS I DID 2 CAMIRA FANS. THEY ARE HOLDEN BUT THEY ARE CHEAP AND PUMP BIG AIR.DONT FORGET A 85a ALTERNATOR AS THESE FANS ALONG WITH HOLLEY BLUE REQUIRE MORE POWER.

IT IS HARD TO FIT THE ELECTRIC WATER PUMP DRIVES TO POWER STEER MOTORS BUT YOU CAN MAKE DO.
WITH 3.23 GEARS AND 650 DP IN THE FAIRLANE YOU SHOULD GET A 13.4 1/4 MILE AND 12.8 WITH 75hp NOS. ALSO USE A SHAKER SCOOP IF YOU CAN AS I PICKED UP 18 HP WITH ONE.
BEST OF LUCK AND IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE ON THE HEADS JUST EMAIL ME AT mhbs@bigpond.net.au thanks,,glen
Old 10-30-2005, 01:48   #8 (permalink)

xrglen, good to hear about the XE but please DONT USE THE CAPS LOCK AS IT MAKES IT HARD TO READ AND EFFECTS MY ALLREADY DECREASING MENTAL STABILITY
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:58   #9 (permalink)
Southern Coupe

Quote:
FROM MY EXPERIENCE POWER STEERING CAN ADD UPTO .3 sec TO YOUR 1/4 MILE TIME. AND THOSE DIFF GEARS ARE TALLER THAN ME.

Hey - just wondering how much weight difference there would be between the XD/E/F series to the XA/B/C series as i am looking at running a very similar setup also in my XA coupe except - 2V cc heads with 4V exhaust valves + port job, slightly larger cam - crane f-246, parker funnelweb intake, MSD electronic ignition. Kitted C4, no power steer, not 100% sure what diff gears i got - 100kph sitting on 3000rpm (seem quite short). Would it be realistic to expect 12's out of this?
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:25   #10 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09
Hey - just wondering how much weight difference there would be between the XD/E/F series to the XA/B/C series as i am looking at running a very similar setup also in my XA coupe except - 2V cc heads with 4V exhaust valves + port job, slightly larger cam - crane f-246, parker funnelweb intake, MSD electronic ignition. Kitted C4, no power steer, not 100% sure what diff gears i got - 100kph sitting on 3000rpm (seem quite short). Would it be realistic to expect 12's out of this?
Yup, I ran 12.95 in my XB sedan with 351/f246 copy/weiand xcellerator/750dp/2v heads with 2.100" in and 1.71" ex. My running gear was c4 3500rpm stall and 4.11 gears. I reckon it would have gone quicker but the c4 was trashed by the end of the meet.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech