1971 Torino 351C build up...sorta... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 23:38   #1 (permalink)

1971 Torino 351C build up...sorta...

So I have a 71 Torino 500 with the original 351c 2v in it. I recently decided that I dont want a screaming hot rod, but something just above stock. Im looking for suggestions and help from the knowledgeable people here. Here are the goals:

1 - Budget. Everyone's got their price, but Id like to stay modest. What's my idea of modest? 1200 - 1500 or less and to use as many serviceable, reliable, performance stock parts as I can get by with. But wait, here me out.

2 - Reliable. I really do like this car, and dont want to build it up just to cruise around for 4 or 5 years and then have to repair it all the time. Clevelands are not cheap.

3 - Pump Gas, no nos, turbo, or superchargers.

4 - Im looking for a sleeper motor that has more torque than horsepower. Im not really concerned with HP, just torque. The only racing Id be doing is from stop light to stop light with some unsuspecting ricers or other stock 350's. Oh, and not a daily driver. I have a more economical truck I drive. Besides, I dont want random shopping carts or whatever taking my car out when Im in the grocery store. So just a weekend or a night out kind of car.

5 - And finally, I dont think I want to do anything below the heads. So no strokers; just a build up of the top end. A good valve job as well as an upgraded crank and anything else easily accessible once the heads are replaced.

If your still with me, thanks, I know Im getting picky.

So here's what I've come up with so far. Im pretty sure I want to score a set of Aussie 2v closed chamber heads. Probably a set of headers (feel free to suggest a pair) although this might not go well with the idea of a "sleeper", a 600 to 650 cfm carb (I live in a high altitude, not sure that matters), and a daul flowmaster exhaust (maybe hushpower II?). Maybe some porting?

So any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried to provide as much info as possible as to what Im looking to accomplish. If I've missed something I can fill in the blanks I suppose. By the way, without going below the heads, what's the best HP/TQ I should shoot for? Thanks again to anyone contributing.
milehighmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 23:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1971 Torino 351C build up...sorta...

Oh, I forgot, trans and rear end. The transmission, I believe, is the c4. And the rear end is a 6 code, which means 3.00 I guess? Still learning this part.

Thanks again.
milehighmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:09   #3 (permalink)

71 Torino 351C-2V would have had an FMX in it. Axel code 6 is 3.00:1. An Edelbrock Performer (maybe RPM) Cam, carbie & intake might be the ticket. Make sure you get the intake for the 2V heads, 302C have 351C-2v ports.
George1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 00:37   #4 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Oh wrong thread

Last edited by Big Block Ford; 03-03-2009 at 00:41. Reason: Wrong thread
Big Block Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech