250 -> 302 - worth it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2005, 16:54   #1 (permalink)
sideways in a six

250 -> 302 - worth it?

guy just down the road from me is selling a 302 and c10 for $200, in a 'running' condition. He's told me that he has everything i would need to drop it into my column shift XD running straight LPG.

But would it be worth it? I'd get a bit more power, but plenty more weight and much worse fuel consumption, yeah?

But I could just about sell my recently reco'd 250 and BW35 for at least $200 which would help...

And if the 302 is getting a bit old I could always give it a re-ring and head work, or would a proper build be better?

Suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2005, 17:32   #2 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Re: 250 -> 302 - worth it?

As far as I'm concerned you can't beat a V8. Be warned though, it could end up being very expensive if it's not in good condition. So far my rebuild has cost well over $2,500 but to be fair I've gone the whole hog with a brand new carby, dizzy aswell as the usual bearings, rings, seals, and second hand heads that have been worked, new cam + lifters plus all the little bits and peices you don't think about, and a dyno tune (hopefully ready to roll this arvo, fingers crossed).
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 17:33   #3 (permalink)
82XE 351c

you could fix up the 250 to make more power, but when doing that they end up chewing a fair bit of fuel aswell!.
I find 302c's to be a slight bit pointless for power/econ projects.

One option for you is to spend about $250 for a 351 crank and rods and run a 2 barrel carb. This would be about the same fuel usage as the 302 but with alot more torque.

Don't get me wrong though, 250's and 302's can both make power, but for the small jump to a 351 and its another story all together!
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 17:44   #4 (permalink)
sideways in a six

Mike you did everything yourself too (the whole saga is a good read ), hey?

so assuming i can do most of the labour myself, apart form the exhaust and possibly transmission - cutting the hole and all that, it'd still be easy over $1k, yeah?
Old 06-29-2005, 17:54   #5 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Quote:
Originally Posted by meethed
Mike you did everything yourself too (the whole saga is a good read ), hey?

so assuming i can do most of the labour myself, apart form the exhaust and possibly transmission - cutting the hole and all that, it'd still be easy over $1k, yeah?

well no not really, you could just put in some bearing, rings and wack it together.
Mike hasn't left much alone in his motor. which does make the $$ go up and up :(
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 21:17   #6 (permalink)
sideways in a six

yeah there's nothing I'd love more than a fresh 351/378 with all the good gear sitting nice and shiny in my repainted engine bay with new springs shockers and bushes and a fresh driveline with 9" sitting on 17" wheels with some 275's on the back and a twin 2.5" stainless steel exhaust, and so it goes...

But if I get the thing, if all the meat is in good nick what would be the advantage of a re-ring and bearing job? Would it be worth it? Or should I get some cash together for a 351, holley and all that?
Old 06-29-2005, 21:32   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meethed
yeah there's nothing I'd love more than a fresh 351/378 with all the good gear sitting nice and shiny in my repainted engine bay with new springs shockers and bushes and a fresh driveline with 9" sitting on 17" wheels with some 275's on the back and a twin 2.5" stainless steel exhaust, and so it goes...

But if I get the thing, if all the meat is in good nick what would be the advantage of a re-ring and bearing job? Would it be worth it? Or should I get some cash together for a 351, holley and all that?
If you on a budget, I would grab the 302 and do the conversion. I'm sure you'll have to spend money on bits and pieces as the conversion comes together, which will probably be $200-$500. get it running with the 302 then when funds permit go for the 351 option. If the motor has reasonable oil pressure and compression there is no reason you won't get a few years out of this motor. I would no bother with rings and bearings unless you have the spare $$$ and have the skills of doing the job yourself. I think you'll be surprised with the power/torque gain you'll get with a 302 over a 250.

On the other hand if you have the cash. ie $3000+ then again grab the motor and all the conversion stuff needed. Rebuild the 302 into a 351, have the heads done , mild cam, 600 holley,etc,etc and you'll have a good street motor, the more power you want the more it will cost you...HP and $$$ go hand in hand.
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 21:48   #8 (permalink)
sideways in a six

Right i'll let you guys know what happens - mates with a wrecker so he might be able to help with parts / fitting. Time to start saving...
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech