2V heads, Waterjacket leak maybe? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 15:03   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Question 2V heads, Waterjacket leak maybe?

Hey all,
So recently I have had my 2v's ported etc and decked 20thou which is a fair bit i gather.
I have let the motor get just under red line on XE temp gauge twice since its been started because of various problems with thermos.

Now what my problem is, at the front of both heads I am getting a small amount of white crap built up. It only built up a bit,
but more was bubbling very slightly last night as it over heated for the 2nd time. it stopped as soon as the gauge came away from the top.
The oil is clean as with no problems there.
Temp performance is great normally, it sits right on the thermostat line with my thermo's going :)

so has anyone had this white stuff ever? I know it might not be doing anything now but I am thinking 5yrs it might have problems? I paid good money for the work on these heads so if they have taken too much should I expect them to fix the issue?

thanks all, not really worried as the car, oil system, water system all seem to be behaving.
the first time i saw the white stuff after the first over heat it thought it was just glue or something, but reliased its abit worse last night.

cheers
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 15:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2V heads, Waterjacket leak maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pracy
Hey all,
So recently I have had my 2v's ported etc and decked 20thou which is a fair bit i gather.
I have let the motor get just under red line on XE temp gauge twice since its been started because of various problems with thermos.

Now what my problem is, at the front of both heads I am getting a small amount of white crap built up. It only built up a bit,
but more was bubbling very slightly last night as it over heated for the 2nd time. it stopped as soon as the gauge came away from the top.
The oil is clean as with no problems there.
Temp performance is great normally, it sits right on the thermostat line with my thermo's going :)

so has anyone had this white stuff ever? I know it might not be doing anything now but I am thinking 5yrs it might have problems? I paid good money for the work on these heads so if they have taken too much should I expect them to fix the issue?

thanks all, not really worried as the car, oil system, water system all seem to be behaving.
the first time i saw the white stuff after the first over heat it thought it was just glue or something, but reliased its abit worse last night.

cheers
Sounds like a leak to me. When you get small leaks like that, the water boils off and all that is normally left is a white residue. If you were to put some of your coolant in a pan and boil it dry, you would probably be left with the same residue.

Is the leak coming from the head or from the head gasket?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 17:19   #3 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Ifit's at the front on the driverside. I'd expect a thermostat/heater hose/radiator hose leak. I had similar which took me 2 years to find without the use of UV. I could smell coolant after I turned the engine off. I'd usually loose about 500mls->1lt over about 6mths. So the leak was tiny. Found the sucker. It was the rubber hose at the heater box leaking/weeping. When I found it I was wrecking the car out
Old 05-31-2005, 17:59   #4 (permalink)

It doesn't sound good....maybe check the torque settings on the head bolts to ensure they are at the correct pressure.
xb351coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 18:54   #5 (permalink)
82XE 351c

yeah i thought it might be a leek else where as well. Its on the passenger side, though i can see whitw stuff on the Drive side as well.
torque settings should be fine but will check.
Old 05-31-2005, 19:40   #6 (permalink)
Resident Budget Racer

I'd retention your head bolts pracy. Sounds like the head gaskets are weeping.
I had a similar problem when I fitted reco heads. I thought I was going to have to replace the head gaskets, coolant was weeping out b/n the bolck and head front and back.
I retentioned the heads to the max spec and have not had a problem since.
Also if you are over heating the motor, this will obviously produce problems that will no appear at normal running temp.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 19:54   #7 (permalink)

Why you shouldn't use ethylene glycol when you first start up a newly rebuilt motor or after a head change:

http://www.penrite.com.au/techbullet...ON_GASKETS.pdf
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 20:46   #8 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Question Re: 2V heads, Waterjacket leak maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
I'd retention your head bolts pracy. Sounds like the head gaskets are weeping.
I had a similar problem when I fitted reco heads. I thought I was going to have to replace the head gaskets, coolant was weeping out b/n the bolck and head front and back.
I retentioned the heads to the max spec and have not had a problem since.
Also if you are over heating the motor, this will obviously produce problems that will no appear at normal running temp.

I talked with the guy who machined my heads, he says they have been pressure tested and looked over real good, he will fix if its his problem but he thinks it is not.
Just also seen my mech. he says just a retention will be fine, the difference in gaskets etc.
They both say if the heads in the old non decked state can make a seal, than these can too!

at the same time i showed my mech though, i noticed a small amount of oil in the bowl where the dissy does in. mech thinks maybe the overheat just let a bit of fluid out, he is gunna retention valley and heads.

any other suggestions?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:11   #9 (permalink)

I have had this issue and never had noticable water loss over a few years; just a white stain along the gasket edge.

I would retension the heads and just keep an eye on any water use.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech