302 to 351 conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
in his big ZH

302 to 351 conversion

Well here is a question which I am sure has been asked before and will be again...

If I want to make my car a 351 but want the engine numbers to still match, what do I do?

Obviously I will need a new crank. I have seen 4MA and 4MAB mentioned, are they the same crank and someone can't remember all the letters, or different?

How about the rods? Pistons? And if I get real rich, does anyone know what would be involved in getting the old thing supercharged? None of this out of the bonnet crap, I don't need a car to try and stroke my ego, just something nice and hidden that makes the old Fairlane cruise even better.

Final part, but important part. I hear the 302 head were made here in Skippyland but the 351 heads were made in Yankland. I have also heard ours were better? Any educated opinions?

thanks
Big_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2004, 04:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: 302 to 351 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Matt
Well here is a question which I am sure has been asked before and will be again...

If I want to make my car a 351 but want the engine numbers to still match, what do I do?

Obviously I will need a new crank. I have seen 4MA and 4MAB mentioned, are they the same crank and someone can't remember all the letters, or different?

How about the rods? Pistons? And if I get real rich, does anyone know what would be involved in getting the old thing supercharged? None of this out of the bonnet crap, I don't need a car to try and stroke my ego, just something nice and hidden that makes the old Fairlane cruise even better.

Final part, but important part. I hear the 302 head were made here in Skippyland but the 351 heads were made in Yankland. I have also heard ours were better? Any educated opinions?

thanks
you can certainly swap cranks from a 302 to go up to a 351 but i would only do this during a complete rebuild. As far as cranks are concerned 4ma or b are great as is the standard aussie version.Any of these cranks will put up with a ton of abuse and will not be a problem unless you are building a 750 hp motor.Scat also make stroker cranks to suit a variety of displacements in either cast version or 4340 steel.Nothing wrong with the rods either ,you have the choice of standard forgings or even the 302C rod can be used with appropriate pistons.Both open and closed chamber heads can be used,imho the open heads make for a better street offering as they have the added benefit if total unshrouding of the valves which aids in low speed cylinder filling which equals torque lower in the rpm range where you need it to get a big ol fairlane moving.Both designs of heads need some form of porting to be of benefit as in standard form they have been poorly finished and will certainly benefit from bowl work on the intakes.Keep the valve size standard.Resist the temptation to fit oversize valves as they work better with smaller valves.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech