Ford Forums banner

302 to 351 conversion kits?

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  brenx 
#1 ·
I wanted a 351 on LPG but i found a really perfect ride that is a 302, so if i get this XD 302 on LPG I'm looking at buying, I will want to convert it into a 351.

BUT I don't have the time or space to do a 302 to 351 conversion myself, especially trying to suit it for LPG applications, so does anyone know if there are conversion kits available?

Who makes them and how much?
Where can i get the conversion done in Sydney?

#2 ·
to use your block: $3000 ish, drive-in, drive-out... It's basically a full rebuild using nwe crank and rods. Cheapest option would be to buy a running 351 long motor from either a wreckers or the trading post. I've seen some big-money worked clevo's go for the $1500-2000 mark in the 'post. Installation might be another few hundred on top of that.

#3 ·
Greenmachine : He'd only need a short motor and retain the 302's heads and bolt ons.

You'd be able to pick up a reco 351 short motor for about $1500 or less. A fully reco'd 351 to stock costs $2200-$2500.

Good s/h short motor? Probably $1000.

Brenden

#4 ·
except if he buys a short motor, someone needs to rip bits off his 302 and assemble the 351 - and labour charges are depressingly high. You are right though - a short motor with his accessories/heads would probably be the best setup.

the $3000 full rebuild (including stroking my 302 to 351) I got quoted was something like $2000 worth of actual rebuild (pistons, boring etc), $400ish for 351 crank and rods plus $4-500 for remove/refit and tune. Which is why i've decided to do almost all of it myself.

#5 ·
Anyone with half a brain can figure out where everything goes. All thats needed is a torque wrench, spanners, sockets, silicone and a manual if they get stuck. $400 is what I used to charge to remove and refit engines. I personally would rather hire a crane and do it myself but I own my own engine crane anyway. $400 in my pocket.

Very very easy job to do. 1 day inc assembly max. Thats engine in car running. It also helps in they remove/disassemble the car/engine. As learning a thing or two doesn't hurt.

Brenden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.