302 Heads and stuff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2003, 03:42   #1 (permalink)

302 Heads and stuff

hey all,

Im new to this forum and had some questions.

i have XA Coupe With a 302c with Pacemaker extractors, a cam with a 484 lift,reco on the rest of the botom end, stock C4, standed intake manifold ,and some none reco but good condition 2v closed Chamber Heads. Was runing a holly 600 vac but the vac didnt seem to be workin and it was blowin fuel all over the place i got givin a thermoquad and am runing that now(still havein probs with the vac seconds .LOL.) oh and im runnin duel fuel ATM but might ditchit yet

it pulls ok when i drop to second or after i hit around 50,60 k/sec
but off the mark its got nothin. And when ever the seconds are suposed to open it seems to die (choke or flood I thought) But a i cant tell y????.

i was told to get a port and polish done on the headsand a general reco( was gonna do anyway) put on some YT rollers and
increas the vales to 4v or just increase the exhust only???Sounds Expensive.

Any input or help is greatly apreciated
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2003, 03:55   #2 (permalink)
more power needed

The easiest way to make it go a bit better would be to change the diff ratio.Roller rockers won't make it go any better,so if you want it to take off the diff and maybe a small high stall convertor would be a good place to start
120why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 17:24   #3 (permalink)
Slurry Boostin

put a 351 crank in it.

go from there.
VS 215i Senator *For Sale*
TTNOS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 04:42   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Sounds like you need a good tune. Especially in the carb dept..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 07:46   #5 (permalink)

rooted accelerator pump?
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 05:28   #6 (permalink)

Find someone in your local area that knows how to rebuild the Carter. These things can be real bastards but if they are done right the car will run smooth and go hard, especially when the secondaries cut in. A typical rebuild will cost you around $300. Do not get some wally to do it for you, get some references as a car with a sick carby will go no where fast.

You are correct in going for the 4V exhasut valves only, the 2V inlet are more than sufficient. If you wont to go for the roller rockers, look at a better cam, batter heads, better carb, better gearbox etc etc, get my drift. These things alone will not make a great deal of difference.

Always remember, keep it simple and speak with a performance engine rebuilder who knows their stuff and will give advice freely. Then, find a reputable spares supplier and go from there, have fun.
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 23:54   #7 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

I think a 600 cfm Holley might be a little bit big for a pretty standard 302 Cleveland.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 00:49   #8 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Quote:
Originally posted by smciner1
I think a 600 cfm Holley might be a little bit big for a pretty standard 302 Cleveland.
Yea not realy the original carb is not small in the cfm area either...
In Holley's the acclerator pump has to be tunned just right...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:57   #9 (permalink)

go straight gas, it will fix all your problems

jim
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:56   #10 (permalink)
The Supreme Machine!

Quote:
Originally posted by paull
Find someone in your local area that knows how to rebuild the Carter. These things can be real bastards but if they are done right the car will run smooth and go hard, especially when the secondaries cut in. A typical rebuild will cost you around $300. Do not get some wally to do it for you, get some references as a car with a sick carby will go no where fast.

You are correct in going for the 4V exhasut valves only, the 2V inlet are more than sufficient. If you wont to go for the roller rockers, look at a better cam, batter heads, better carb, better gearbox etc etc, get my drift. These things alone will not make a great deal of difference.

Always remember, keep it simple and speak with a performance engine rebuilder who knows their stuff and will give advice freely. Then, find a reputable spares supplier and go from there, have fun.
I had an old tired thermoquad on my xa.I decided to replace it with a holley but my oldman convinced me to get another thermoquad...he quite likes them. So i took his advice and bought a reco one for $400 with a new plastic base..Some people say i was quite mad but it goes quite well...very smooth. And has a bit of punch expecally when the biiiiig secondarys open up. i've had no problems with it (i'm told it drives like new)

1960 FB Holden Wagon: (Tha Yella Terra) 192ci 6cyl,4spd, 13x7 Chromies.

NA fairlane ghia 5.0
XA_GT_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech