302 into a XF. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2002, 06:06   #1 (permalink)
MixMasta

302 into a XF.

G'day folks.

I currently own a XF Falcon, and im toying with the idea of putting a 302 (not sure whether a clevo or windsor would be better?...suggestions?) in it.

Can any one tell me what sort of modifications are required, as far as i no i will need to use xd/xe V8 engine mounts and change the bottom cross member.

I am thinking 302 and c4 combination, will i need a new g/b cros-member?

i have a 4spd behind the 250 x-flow at the moment, so i would presume a new pedal box would be in order for the auto.
Other than that i "hope" i have all my bases covered ?!

Can anyone add anything to all this jibberish?

Cheers for any info or suggestions.

MixMasta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2002, 06:28   #2 (permalink)

I was toying with this idea for a while. I found out that the heater pipes will be in the way, so you have to do some colourful bending/using your imagination.

Never got a definate answer on wheter to upgrade brakes or not though they seem really freaking good with my 4 wheel disc setup up.

Not much info but every little bit helps right??

Cheers
Matt
Old 05-20-2002, 07:11   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

probably widen the engine bay? Thats what i think anyway.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 07:40   #4 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

I installed a 5.0L EFI Winsor in my friends XF a few years ago. It actually went in quite easily. You do require XD/XE V8 engine mounts. For the heater hoses, you need to remove the dash, remove the heater box, take out the heater core and rotate it 180 deg, so the pipes exit at the top. Drill the required holes in the top of the heater box & in the fire wall and you are done.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 08:50   #5 (permalink)
MixMasta

Yer, as for widening the engine bay, i think the size it is now is sufficient as the xd/e series had the same size engine bay as the XF and they coped fine with the 8's.

How'd the v8 xe/d's go wiith the heater set-up, did they come with heaters?....i guess if worst came to worst i could just rip the heater hoses out

brake wise, i have front discs and rear drums, if i were to do the conversion they rear would be eventually become discs on a 9" (we can all dream, i spose)

ok, it doesnt seem to much of a task.....

we will have to wait and see.

any other suggesstions/comments, i need all the help i can get..

MixMasta
Old 05-20-2002, 15:55   #6 (permalink)
Shh i'm huntin more power

You dont need to change your pedal box. Just change the pedals.
Jase_ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 16:27   #7 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

The mighty XD did have a heater.

It's just mine never worked.....

Also, you should 'accidently' put a 351 crank and rods in that 302 clevo, and run her on straight gas.
Old 05-20-2002, 16:34   #8 (permalink)
MixMasta

Ken Oath, that sounds like my kind of accident!

beaut, by the sounds of it i think i have more or less all my bases covered..

now my only problem is finding a decent engine, and coming up with some cash to pay for it..grr..

cheers folks, feel free to keep those comments coming.

MixMasta
Old 05-20-2002, 17:01   #9 (permalink)

My mechanic put a Windsor 302 in his 85 XF and it was an easy fit, just heater box modifications. He also put in a cleevo 351 into my 86 XF - the squeeze is very tight. (Both LPG set ups) Ended up banging the firewall back a couple of mm to give a little extra clearance. Extractors and trannie were a bugger to get in. In Vic, rear disc brakes are required for engineering. Don't know why, I liked my drums better ....
Old 05-21-2002, 04:08   #10 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

Personally I found fitting a cleveland into an XF is a relatively straight forward job. (Although my install is not designed for road usage, others may find some of the following useful)
A few sticky points to remember
1. Firewall is different shape in the xf as compared to xd/xe, which will cause clearance issues where the heater hoses go throught the firewall.
2. V8 Engine mounts WILL fit the stock crossmember.
3. The radiator is bolted into a slighty different location for the 6 cylinders as opposed to the V8(The correct locating holes are already there though)
4. The accelerator cables between the 6 & the 8 are different(also in stroke length - which may cause a few hassles depending upon carby choice)
5. Fuel line entry point into the engine bay is different between the 6's & for the V8. The fuel line for the 6 enters at the rear of the engine bay (behind the crossmember)- whereas for the clevo's it is infront of the crossmember(near the fuel pump). If you plan on doing a clevo instal into a 6, ensure you get the v8 fuel line from the donor car(just the front bit)I have seen a couple of instals where people have just added more rubber hose & draped it over the crossmember to the fuel pump( it tends to get a little too close to the exhaust for comfort)
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech