Ford Forums banner

302 power....is it possible to have a powerhouse 302?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ZKING 
#1 ·
Just something that has been plauging my mind...is it possible to get some serious or reasonable power from a 302 or is it just wasting time and u might as well go the 351? and wat do u do? specs i mean.....

#2 ·
If you want serious power? Yes your wasting your time. The more cubes the better. Although you can have a quick street car that runs a 302. What powers your 302 doing? Speak to XBWGN as his 302 ain't no slouch. It'll be a heap faster once he gets the LSD diff in.

Brenden

#4 ·
yeah i see.....thanks guys....u see ive got a 302 in the fairlane and im going to be doing the car up reasonably seriously....but everyone i speak to says to just go the 351 straight up...ive just been confused as to why i wouldnt be able to do anything decent, something different with the 302.....thanks

#7 ·
factory xa 302 2v headed has 230hp.factory xa 2v headed 351 has 250hp.
its up to you but i would spend money on mods to your 302 that can be used on a 351 engine later eg build up good trans,diff,exhaust,carb,ignition.
if you have for e.g 3.55 rear end then it will give your little engine more poke,and possibly keep you satisfied while you build up a 351 engine.

#8 ·
72 xa coupe said:
factory xa 302 2v headed has 230hp.factory xa 2v headed 351 has 250hp.
its up to you but i would spend money on mods to your 302 that can be used on a 351 engine later eg build up good trans,diff,exhaust,carb,ignition.
if you have for e.g 3.55 rear end then it will give your little engine more poke,and possibly keep you satisfied while you build up a 351 engine.

yeah that sounds to be a very good idea mate......makes alot of sense thanks for that xa!

#9 ·
ZKING said:
yeah i see.....thanks guys....u see ive got a 302 in the fairlane and im going to be doing the car up reasonably seriously....but everyone i speak to says to just go the 351 straight up...ive just been confused as to why i wouldnt be able to do anything decent, something different with the 302.....thanks
Fairlanes are quite heavy, it will want to be a very strong motor to make a Fairlane serious.
But on the other hand, i know of a Fairlane built by Warlord engines that runs low 11`s, it is the XD shape Fairlane, which would be about the lightest model.

#10 ·
Just throw a 351 crank in it - your 302 rods and some decent pistons. Seems to be a very good combination
Shane
(Falcon City - Adelaide)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.