302 rebuild plans - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2005, 05:03   #1 (permalink)
wax

302 rebuild plans

Gidday all,

the latest plan for rebuilding the 302 in my 77 XC ute are as follows:

351 crank
302 rods
ACL 9356 pistons
302 cc heads modified to 'Street Avengers' (by Kostecki)
9.5 comp
Crane CD204-52 cam, int 204 deg @ .0484 ext 214 @ .051
roller rockers
edelbrock performer manifold
carter thermoquad or holley 600 sec vac
3y extractors

the aim is for a decent fist full of torque. Some towing required, also want reasonable economy.
will probably replace the C4 with a strengthened AOD (or AODE?) to give a 4th gear and good cruise rpm, with the current BW 2.92 lsd diff

Comments?
wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2005, 06:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: 302 rebuild plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
Gidday all,

the latest plan for rebuilding the 302 in my 77 XC ute are as follows:

351 crank
302 rods
ACL 9356 pistons
302 cc heads modified to 'Street Avengers' (by Kostecki)
9.5 comp
Crane CD204-52 cam, int 204 deg @ .0484 ext 214 @ .051
roller rockers
edelbrock performer manifold
carter thermoquad or holley 600 sec vac
3y extractors

the aim is for a decent fist full of torque. Some towing required, also want reasonable economy.
will probably replace the C4 with a strengthened AOD (or AODE?) to give a 4th gear and good cruise rpm, with the current BW 2.92 lsd diff

Comments?
By cleveland standards ,that is indeed a small cam .I suppose if you a after torque this will give it to you right from idle.I am more into single pattern cams for 2v,s as most generic grinds are made to favour the 4v,s inherit imbalance of great intake ,lousy exhaust flow.
Whilst i am sure the Street avenger head is a relativley good piece the kostecki bros sure know how to charge for their knowhow and cnc machining on this head.It is esentially a closed chamber head that has had the chambers opened up to resemble an open chamber head along with some mild bowl work.I think they charge around 1250 just for the cnc work alone.Now put some valves in ,hard seats ,springs etc and see how much they really cost. Now consider that the 2v alloy from CHI is 2650 complete and the answer is a no brainer.
As for pipes most guys seem to find an increase in torque after switching from tri y pipes to a 4 into 1 setup.
thats my 2 cents.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 14:50   #3 (permalink)

Re: 302 rebuild plans

I was under the impression that the longer rod gave better high rpm performance, this may be incorrect but I think sticking with std length rods would be better as you will never see more than 4500rpm, keep the airspeed higher. Value for money CHI all the way. The alloys will be lighter and allow a higher compression so they are beneficial in a few ways, plus the combustion chamber would be just as efficient as the KEC CNC stuff.
ltd351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech