302 wont run right at all - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

302 wont run right at all

ok, its been 3 months since a dyno, and still wont run right, where as before it was dynod it was PERFECT,

history.... fresh rebuilt 302 clevo, with brand new elec dizzy and holley 650 DP (imported from the states)

firstly it used to be in a ute, ran ulp all the time, kept overfuling, so we lowered the jets.... still lisght overfuel.....

motor got put in my XE.....

Stage 2 C10 auto, and stocker 2.77 diff (the second one and its stuffed awaitin a new tailshfat for my 3.23)

motor got converted to run Lpg, OMVL RE 90 converter with sprintgas mixer.

dad tuned the motor, to run on lpg.... and it used to run PERFECT... only problem the little thing that holds the dizzy in place was bent and needed to be retimed every month or 2... but that was fine....... (yesterday dad timed it, and told me 13 degrees, i got the light, and it was SPOT ON)

the timing went out, and dad was too busy for a week to do it, so i jsut took it into a reputable LPG perfromance shop, which i will not name..... (if u wanna know, ill pm you) they had it on the dyno, and it pulled 40.9 RWKW. they played with it, and added a second line from the converter to the mixer, and got 68 rwkw, but still nto enough, and was running rich... VERY rich.... and the car woudnt go if it was cold.....

so i took it back, adn they woudn it down a little but, but lost performance..... and still running like crap..... and only revved out at 3000 RPM (on a 6 cyl tacho, which means truly only about 2500 rpm....)

3 weeks ago, i started running it on petrol, and HUGE POWER i mean, it goes sideways 1-2 shift at 60 kays... BUT it flooded, and chewed HEAPS of fuel,

when i switched it from petrol to gas, takes a while to burn it all out, but when its runnin for the first kay or 2, it revs right out on gas, its still getting a tiny but of fuel form the lines and all......

i took out the second gas line out, and its running a little better than wat the gas place had it......

now, thats its history......

my questions......

any idea why its only getting 70 or so rwkw on gas? is it normal to ONLY have that, or is it something else?

second... what kays is everyone getting from gas and petrol on a 302 im only getting 100 or so kays out of 40 liters of gas, and about that from petrol!

third.... IT WONT DO A BURNOUT! I NEED IT TO DO ONE, EVERYONE IS TEASING ME!

thats it i think than ks for reading my nove3l, but i thoguht i woudl get as much info as possible, any further quesitons so u can give a better judgement, just ask me......

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 03:40   #2 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Re: 302 wont run right at all

How's the cam timing look? The cam hasn't got a wiped lobe has it? A 300,000+ 302 should have around 80rwkw. Your new 302 should have around 90-100rwkw on petrol. Gas should only drop around 10rwkw if at all.

Diff ratio's can play havoc on fuel settings. Especially having a 650dp with a 2.7 diff ratio. Once the 3.23's in some of your issues should be solved.

Timing? If the distributor is held down tight by the clamp? There is no way the timing will move unless you haven't fastened the dizzy or have points. The only way it can move is by having shaft slop or by having a bent shaft.

Also sounds like the carb is too big for the cam. Going by the power the cam is only a stock one.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:47   #3 (permalink)

The diaphram on the converter hasn't failed has it?

Are you running a high energy ignition? if yes, have the plugs burnt out?

Have you developed a vaccum leak?

Dead plug lead that hasn't been picked up?

Dead coil?

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 15:22   #4 (permalink)

brandnew coil, plugs and 8 mm leads a month or 2 ago....

i dunno about the diaphram on the converter??? any way to test it.... it will only rev to 3000 on a 6 cyl tacho... and cut out, just after its been running fuel it revs right out... .and yeh.....

hopefully the diff will be going in soon....

it had a little vacuume leak, the pvc valve on the rocker cover wasnt sealing properly, so i packed thread tape around it, and now its tight......

when i pump the brake pedal the revs will rise 200-300 rpm.... mabye booster got a little leak?

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

Old 12-04-2005, 15:27   #5 (permalink)

motor is stock, it used to rev to 4000-4500 before the gas mob got to it......

and anotheir problem we have had with clevo's mainly dads zh 351.... the intake maifold wasnt sealing... was warped, and we put a new one.. .and that warped too... or was warped, kept having air leaks around it.....

when we built the motor, there were 5 people watching me torque down the manifold.... 3 weeks after it was in the zh someof the bolts were finger tight!..... could the inlet be leaking?

Old 12-04-2005, 16:05   #6 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

I hope your not trying to seal them with those crappy paper gaskets and bird bath? Toss the bird bath and stick a decent Felpro gasket on. The Felpro is thicker which will prevent any leakage from being warped. Also tighten the manifold down in stages.

[edit]remember it recheck it's tight after it's been through a heat cycle or two
Old 12-04-2005, 22:12   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
I hope your not trying to seal them with those crappy paper gaskets and bird bath? Toss the bird bath and stick a decent Felpro gasket on. The Felpro is thicker which will prevent any leakage from being warped. Also tighten the manifold down in stages.

[edit]remember it recheck it's tight after it's been through a heat cycle or two
Spot on. In other words, a few days after it has been run, the inlet gaskets get soaked with fuel and also compress. Therefore, you must re-torque the inlet manifold after a short period of usage.

Paul
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech