302C problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2004, 04:04   #1 (permalink)

302C problems

hi all

Ive been noticing a few haggling things with my falcon, causing the performance to be, well crap.

I notice that sometimes when i start it it blows blueish smoke, i think one of the valves my be recessed into the head, im not sure tho. Also, when i start the car i can hear knocking, this probably has something to do with my timing, and also it pre ignites (i think thats when the car doesnt want to stop when the ignition is off).

Anybody know how much it would cost to fix the smoke issue?
and also how to fix the knocking and pre igniting. I think its taking a huge slice out of my performance cause the car hesitates when planting it sorta thing. Its been annoying me for too long now.

Thanks in advance
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
XDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 04:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: 302C problems

Normally blue smoke on start up is valve stem seals,and knocking is usually bearings.When u have the two its normally reco time.You could get a re-ring kit which includes rings,conrod bearings,valve stem seals and all gaskets needed,but it may need more than that.Pre ignition maybe from excessive carbon build up around heads and pistons.
clevoxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:59   #3 (permalink)

If it hesistates when you plant your foot its usually because the accelerator pump isnt working. I assume you have a Thermoquad (the standard plastic carby) as they are notorious for this. Blue smoke is burnt oil. The engine will RUN ON if it is iding too fast. Is your idle up solenoid retracting when you cut the ignition??
Old 09-15-2004, 05:25   #4 (permalink)

i have a 465cfm 4 barrel vac sec holley on it. About 4 weeks ago we ran a carby kit through it to try and fix the vac sec problem (they weren't coming on)

Im pretty sure the accerelerator pump is ok. Damn the other 2 problems seem like they are gonna cost big bux
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

FOR SALE: 1980 XD, Recently rebuilt 9" disc diff, with 3.25 gears, toploader with hurst shifter kit, 302C, DBA slotted and cross driled rotors, Fairmont interior with modified centre console, jellybean mags, reasonably good condition, driveline will handle 400+rwhp PM FOR PICS asking $3500
Old 09-15-2004, 05:45   #5 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Valvestem seals about about $16-$20 worth. Not big bux The big $ are if you can't do the job yourself. You can change the seals with the heads still on the engine.

The oil in your cyls could be causing your run on also. As excess carbon deposits is left after the burn. More than likely it's your idle up too high due to incorrect jetting though.

Sit the timing @ the crank at 6deg BTDC.

Brenden
Old 09-15-2004, 23:40   #6 (permalink)

well my uncle is a mechanic so i can get him to help me put the valvesteam seals on there. I know for a fact that there is something wrong with the carby as it doesnt perform as it should, even with the carby kit.. What do you think the knockin sound is when i start the car??
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Old 09-16-2004, 00:54   #7 (permalink)
Proudly Average

my 302 used to have a horrible lunking from the bottom end on startup, just for 5 seconds or so... I'm assuming it was bearings. Shall know for sure i a couple of weeks when it's all apart
.020 over 351 Clevo, 10:1 comp, ported 302 heads, blueprinted and balanced, custom ground cam, Edelbrock intake, 600 Holley, K&N air filter, Custom Zip-Ties(tm), MSD ignition, Genie extractors, 2 x 2.5" exhaust, 2800rpm stally, rooted C4
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:10   #8 (permalink)

its not really horrid as such, but more of a clunk as soon as i kicked it over, sounded more like a knock really.. It only lasts for about .5-1 sec as i am starting it. Ahh maybe it is worn bearings who knows
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Old 09-20-2004, 16:16   #9 (permalink)
Nothing beats a V8

i think the preignition is just the timing out. i had the same problem. this also affects the performance. blue smoke could also be worn rings. i could never get a thermoquad to work properly, so after trying 3 of them, i put on a holley 500 2 barrel, and am very happy with it.
Old 09-20-2004, 18:10   #10 (permalink)

yeh, ive got a 465 holley 4 barrely on there at the moment, i found out why accereleration wasnt smooth and hard, the accelereator cable was gonna come off ! the little clip thing came off and apaprently its really hard to get one these days, oh well
Leaks
Dents and;
Engine
Noise

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech