302c rebuild and gas conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2005, 02:35   #1 (permalink)
wax

302c rebuild and gas conversion

just bought a new wagon
77 xc ute with a 302c
its pretty standard, with a thermoquad 4 barrel carby, extractors (4 into 1 system), a shift-kitted C4 and BW LSD diff
The rims are 17'' and the girl's been dropped a couple of inches

I need to rebuild the engine and I'm keen to go for a straight lpg set up

i have a reasonable sized boat that i need to tow, would like it to reliable and fairly economical (but also responsive when some young knob-jockey in a 4 cyl on steriods pulls up next to me). So i'm looking for around 275hp (at the fly) and a good fist full of torque

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, here's the sketch so far:

recon the 302, new pistons, balance etc.
recon heads and set up for lpg, oversize? stainless valves.
Stick an IMPCO 425 on the thermoquad base. Will the stock 4 barrel manifold do the trick? Or am I better off getting something like an aluminium 2V single planam manifold.
It's already got electronic ignition, but the dizzy will need regraphing.

With this in mind, is 275hp readily achievable?
What's a good cam for this combo?

Also, are there any good outfits in Canberra to go to for options/work (both the rebuild and the gas conversion)?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers, Wax

P.S. I've attached a photo of the old girl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xcute2.jpg (124.0 KB, 132 views)
wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 03:07   #2 (permalink)
351 XE on LPG

Re: 302c rebuild and gas conversion

May I suggest getting a 351 crank and mating the 302 rods you have to a set ACL 9356 pistons designed for this swap. It will give you HEAPS of torque and a nice strong, economical streeter, otherwise you'll soon get tired of the 302 and end up stroking it later on anyway, and wasting the money you spent on the 302. The 302 heads with a 351 crank will also lift the compression ratio to a more desired level for lpg.
Rhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:21   #3 (permalink)
wax

Good point, thanks Rhett.

I guess a stroked 302 will probably be just as economical due to that added torque, especially when towing the boat.

Long term I might look at a 4 speed auto option which will also improve the economy on the cruise.
wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:35   #4 (permalink)

You have a PM. Don't buy anything before you check the prices elsewhere, many shops in the ACT will try to screw you, like trying to charge 280$ for something I can get for 130$. Remember canberran shops are used to charging "public service" prices.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:39   #5 (permalink)
Death by Ford

You can get cheap parts!!! Tell me more :)

Nice Ute by the way . I also have an XB ute sitting in my yard, but its ready to fall in half from rust :(
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:14   #6 (permalink)

275 hp out of a 302 is no worries, when you convert my 160 rwkw back to the fly wheel its around 300 - 320 hp which is fairly healthy for a mild rebuild with stock heads. Obviously thats on petrol but on gas it still made 145 rwkw through my son of a bitch elko snorkel which would restrict it heaps.
If towing is in mind, you cant argue with the cubes of the 351.
XC 302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:28   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEVELAND JUNKY
You can get cheap parts!!! Tell me more :)

Nice Ute by the way . I also have an XB ute sitting in my yard, but its ready to fall in half from rust :(
Not that I can get cheap parts but whem you ring the wholesalers or distributors they will often be cheaper than the local canberran shops, one shop here that has a good rep wanted 280$ for a standard impco B2 converter, you can buy them for 130$ elsewhere, thats the difference between "public service" prices and what they really sell for.
LTD351V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:38   #8 (permalink)
Death by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD351V2
Not that I can get cheap parts but whem you ring the wholesalers or distributors they will often be cheaper than the local canberran shops, one shop here that has a good rep wanted 280$ for a standard impco B2 converter, you can buy them for 130$ elsewhere, thats the difference between "public service" prices and what they really sell for.
I get that shit over here too. I know they have to make some profit, but some are just thieves.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 14:15   #9 (permalink)
'77 XC Wagon in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
May I suggest getting a 351 crank and mating the 302 rods you have to a set ACL 9356 pistons designed for this swap. It will give you HEAPS of torque and a nice strong, economical streeter, otherwise you'll soon get tired of the 302 and end up stroking it later on anyway, and wasting the money you spent on the 302. The 302 heads with a 351 crank will also lift the compression ratio to a more desired level for lpg.
Yep - what he said. Shove a 351 crank in there are use your existing 302 heads/rods. Costs about the same to build a nice 302 as it does to build a nice 351, apart from the cost of getting a 351 crank.

Nice ute, too! :)
Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Cleveland Tech