Ford Forums banner

308 cap on clevo dizzy.

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ESP 
#1 ·
guess what, the large dizzy cap fitted to most vc - vl 308's fits on my xy type cleveland dizzy! it only requires simple mods to the rotor, and bending the clips.
ill need different leads now because the cap has the protruding bits sticking up not holes where the leads go in.

looks heaps better than the stockie little one!

#2 ·
A common conversion, also stops cross firing at high revs as the contacts are further apart.

#3 ·
yeah id say theres at least 15mm more space between each terminal. also turns out the rotor doesnt need to be moddified. just the clips to hold the cap on need a bit cut off them and thats all.
not bad for under $30 for dizzy cap, spacer, and rotor!

#5 ·
Re: Re: 308 cap on clevo dizzy.

xr8_sprint said:
hey i've never heard of that one, could one of you guys take a pic?

is the standard XD dizzy *reasonable*? I've got my MSD 6AL on the stock dizzy, a Pro Billet dizzy is just *so* expensive :p

i wonder how this would go....

shaneo
The Standard XD Electronic Dizzy is a pretty good unit, made even better with an MSD 6AL. A good combination.

#6 ·
Dizzy Cap

I've also done this.
The big cap looks heaps better , however it seems that you can lose some spark energy as the air gap is larger. The Rotor length is also longer. If you do go the big cap , bend the 8 contact terminals in a bit and you should be fine. You should check your ignition output on a analyser before and after to confirm this.

XXESP

#7 ·
ill be running a hei with this dizzy, along with programmable ignition timing. your right about it looking better!

edit..

esp,
do u mean bend the tabs inside to come closer to the 351 rotor? cos the holden one is very close allready.

#8 ·
Yes,

Bend the silver Tabs in a bit more.
When I first fitted the new rotor with the new cap , I found that my Gas system was cutting out.

The LPG system has a failsafe device fitted where it cuts out when no spark is detected. With the Old Stock small cap and rotor I never had a problem. With the new Cap and rotor I could hear the LPG system occasionally clicking on and off as I was driving , particularly under load. This was indicative of Low spark energy. As soon as I bent the tabs in , this problem disappeared.

I guess that this was some proof that the old smaller caps aren't that bad after all.

I think the big caps are great for engines that REV really high as they prevent any crossfiring under HIGH RPM's. I'm not so sure about Mid to High revving motors. My Brother's car REVS to 7200 ( CLEVO 351 ) produces 270 Rear Wheel Kw and uses the small Cap with No problem.

He uses the same ignition system as I do. Crane Hi 6 with Crane Coil.
Magnecor 8.5mm Hi Performance leads
I might test both caps on the Dyno to see what is really going on.

Sometimes bigger is not always better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

XXESP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.