Ford Forums banner

350 Hp 351

7K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  boss351c 
#1 ·
Hey Fellow Fordsters.

I am not highly technically knowledgeable with Carby V8's ...

I have currently a 302 which I am probably getting rid of, and hopefully tomorrow purchasing a 351 which was rebuilt 2000 km's ago...

I am not sure what parts were used in the rebuild, but I am assuming it should be a bit more power then standard, but not by much...

I am wanting a simple 350 Hp... not much to ask for really, And would like all the technical information, advice and estimated price costing for the gear I would most likely need.

I am guessing I need a new cam (obviously) Holley 600 or 650 (already have), good exhaust system and the usual basics... But when it comes to bits'n'pieces I don't know too much....

I believe the engine being rebuilt not long ago will handle the power (350 isn't much) and piston rings, forged pistons maybe? pulleys etc ....

I have been told if I got a cam regrind so it has more Lift and not more Duration that I'll have a more even power band, is this correct?

Once again, Any info would be appreciated, I'll try and get a pic of my car up soon too...

Thank -
Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
350hp out of a 351 isnt an easy thing to do.. its like 260kw which is a fair whack of power out of a 20-30 year old engine. with the right amount of money anything is possible

#3 ·
350 hp out of a V8 shouldn't be hard, if we can pull that out of a Soarer or Skyline easy, should be easier with this car, Should already have 150 kw?
hmm... I guess It might take a bit more work... But even like between 250 and 300 hp.

Just something to keep all my Turbo import mates gripping on to their "But Mine uses less fuel" comments.

#4 ·
350 Hp out of a 351 is piss easy ...

get the heads cleaned up and chuck a decent cam in there and you should get it easy with the stuff you already have. Although some people don't mind, I would not ever get a cam reground for a performance application.
If you are using an auto then you have other issues like getting a higher stall converter and then you may ( will ) want to change the 2.75 diff gears to make the most of it.

#5 ·
sorry fellas, my 302c standard is pumpin out around 150kw so i guess that it wouldnt be too hard with a nice cam and get it breathing in and out nicely...

#8 ·
im not sure how much power i got but its round about 350hp mark and i'll tell u what i done to my motor but im not sure how much it would cost exactly cos a mate helped me out. i paid a grand for head work (2v) , hypers , hardened pushrods, hv oil pump and 30 thou bore for the bottom end, x-celerator intake , 650 holley dp and a 21649hyd crow cam, c10 with a 3000 stall ,9 inch with 4.11. ive only taken it to the track once so far and ran 12.6 @109 in an xd with street slicks so i should get it into the low 12 sec range once i sort a few things out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.