#1 ·
Basic specs are:

351 crank and rods
cam dynamics solid cam 248@50 in/ex
11.2:1 compression
218cc CHI heads out of the box
2V wieand xcellerator
750dp carb

Run on Mobil synergy pump fuel. I was pretty much spot on with my conservative guestimation. The aim still is 300rwkw and can be achieved with this setup. In the end we found there was issues with the stock tanks 3/8th pickup. As it just couldn't supply the fuel. Hopefully a simple mod to the mallory 140 will be sufficient. Otherwise the fuel cell goes back in ;) Exhaust system consisted of pacemaker 2V extractors, twin 2 1/2" system with a H pipe and triple flow mufflers (yes not straight throughs).

The only changes to the engine were the CHI heads. So do they CHI's perform? Hell yes!

351 with 218cc CHI's:

The same 351 with heavily ported 2V's:

Brenden

See less See more
#2 ·
Good Stuff Brenden,

Great figure, and there sounds to be a bit more in it with upgrades done.

On the rollers again with upgrades, or CHI Manifold?

Have you driven it yet?

What did it run up straight away, or was that the only power run?

It must feel heaps better to drive now.

Well Done!

#3 ·
1st run up was 202rwkw @ 3/4 throttle. They idled it down, adjusted the timing, then did a 1st full run of 265rwkw (untuned). Tune was basically jets and timing. It needed less timing that a cast headed engine does ;)

Next upgrades are:

a)Sort the tank issue (should be simple enough),
b)Bolt a CHI manifold on,
c)Might play with the exhaust system just to see if it'll go over 300rwkw. 1st I'll try straight through mufflers and then I'll try a twin 3" system with an X pipe.

Both of the above (a) and (b) should get it to the 300rwkw mark. (c) is just bonus points ;) Then it's all done for the 351 and onto the 408. All I want from the 351 is 300rwkw daily driven. January next year will be more than likely when I'll do the last mods then continue heading to the strip to better my times. I should have enough their to get into the 11 sec bracket hopefully? Hopefully it does what it's supposed to

I drove it home it feels strong. As it felt very flat on Saturday @ Hallam Performance. I had a few issues to sort before I could put it on the rollers. I went through 3 dizzies and 1 universal joint.

I'm ithcing to get to the strip now and do the final touches. As it sits now will be how it'll be running @ Heathcote on the 20th Nov.

Max power was made @ 6600rpm. I'll be definately using Hallam Performance for more fine tuning as they always go to extra lengths to get you as much as possible.

Brenden

#6 ·
TD302 said:
Now just put it into a Cortina and really make the most of it. It'll be good to see the difference between the Weiand and CHI intakes
Cortina would be nice but will never be possible due to engineering laws. Been there tried that. Biggest CI in a Cortina is 302CI.

John @ CHI says the intake alone should push it up to close enough to 300rwkw.

Brenden

#9 ·
Great numbers Brenden that is an impressive increase for just changing heads.
The CHI's obviously make a differance.
You have been waiting a long time for this day, it is well over due!
Calder is on Friday, any chance you will forgive them and run there?
Dropped my auto of to Mr Kewish today :shh:

#10 ·
Work Horse said:
Great numbers Brenden that is an impressive increase for just changing heads.
The CHI's obviously make a differance.
You have been waiting a long time for this day, it is well over due!
Calder is on Friday, any chance you will forgive them and run there?
Dropped my auto of to Mr Kewish today :shh:
As you can tell by the date of the before dyno and after dyno sheets. The 227kw dyno run was done a few mths before the 1/4 pass. The 1/4 was done just after the car was done after the boys in blue took the car off the road. So it's almost been 2 years!

Although Calder is tempting and it is my day off. I doubt I'll have the $ to cover a calder trip. If they $ are there I may consider it as I may pay day is Thursday ;)

If you see or talk to Dave before I do let him know the auto having no issues holding my power. I should really drop past myself but trying to get time between work and Hallam Performance etc isn't easy.

If Dave does you an auto like mine you've have no issues unless you go over 600hp. Thats what Dave tells me but in the next breath he also said they haven't had anyone with 600+hp to test it ;) I'll give it a go though as the next toy engine will do 600hp easy enough.

Brenden

#13 ·
I am so not trying to convince myself to go to Calder on Fri but I am itching soooo bad! All I need is fuel and $55 ;) I might try and convince the family to allow the $ and race Fri if I can sort out a tank breather ;)

Brenden

#14 ·
excellent figures!!! good to see its all coming along nicely. what sort of $$$$ do you think it cost you from a standard motor to what it is now? (upgrades only not the cost of the original motor)
make sure you take a vidcam to the strip if you have one......alot of people here would like to see it run down the quarter!!

#15 ·
All up inc CHI's it's $15,000 inc accessories. The motor was @ $12,500 with cast iron heads. If I hadn't paid someone to do the initial build which I had to sort out later. I more than likely could have built it for about $10,000 or less inc CHI's. Also remembering when I bought my CHI's they were $4300 or $4500 complete. Although I didn't buy mine complete, I had other plans ;)

[edit] Should also add majority of this build was done 4 years ago when prices were very high. For example weiand were nearly $600 and a 750DP four corner idle was $1400 new. I bought everything new ;) No corners cut. Now days that parts are much much cheaper! Hence why I want to do a 408 now ;)

Brenden

#16 ·
nice run good to see the chi heads work so well .Now all you need is the manifold .

I am just wondering what you are going to do with your fuel system as I am in the middle of doing mine to suit 393 stroker chi heads 252-258 dur solid cam .I am using a 140 comp mallory pump and filter and was just going to upgrade the standard sender unit to 3/8 pick up and run 3/8 lines to the regulator to a -8 dual inlet line . But sounds like I might have to go to 1/2 inch pick up and maybe 1/2 inch lines to the regulator.Please keep us posted on your progress and findings

#17 ·
I am looking @ first turning the pump pressure up and testing that. Thats what the nut on the pumps for. I am told 1/2 a turn is more than enough. If that doesn't work? I'll have to go 1/2" pickup again. I'd prefer to retain the stock tank but have $1500-$1600 worth of fuel cell setup here I can run. I never had an issue with the 1/2" pickup in the fuel cell but I didn't have 280rwkw either.

My fuel systems is:

3/8th to filter 4" from the tank, 1/2" out of the filter to the pump, 1/2" from the pump right up to the reg and 3/8th lines to each fuel bowl.

Brenden

#19 ·
No, no return line. Ran it like that for 2 years. Just make sure the tank breathes well. If the tank can't vent air the elec pump will work too hard (dropping pressure as it gets warm). I'm going to fit a different filler neck for mine as my tank pressurizes.

Brenden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.